Surprise baby cory cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettalover333

Aquarium Advice Regular
So today, while I was cleaning out my filter (it's the Fluval 306 canister) I stumbled across a small little tadpole like thing. At first I had no idea what it was, and then it started to flop around, much to my surprise. I quickly plopped it in a tiny hospital tank (with treated water and aeration) and as I began to take a closer look at it, I realized it was a baby peppered cory cat. Of course I knew my cory cats had been laying eggs, but I had no intention of raising them (not enough money or tanks) so I just left them be and assumed they all got eaten. Well now that one has survived, I need some advice on care. I'll attach a pic, can anyone give me and age estimate? What should I feed it? I have flakes, sinking pellets, and freeze dried brine shrimp and bloodworms on hand, but I can probably go out and buy some special food for him/her tomorrow if anyone has any suggestions. And just general advice for raising this little fellow. He is rather cute and I have room in my tank for an extra cory cat, so if I could save him that would be nice. Also, and idea how long until he'll be able to move back into my 60 gallon community? I might be able to wrestle up a 10 gallon somewhere to raise him in until then. Thanks, Caroline.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409539709.797897.jpg (sorry about the bad pic quality, all I have is my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can see his spots and stripe, I would say he is about a month old or more. I fed mine smashed flake food. The frozen foods I fed mine at that age was blood worms and brine shrimp that I shaved off the the frozen brick to make it bite size.

It will grow like a weed once you start feeding it frozen foods.

Depending what other fish you have, you may not have to separate him out of the parent tank. If he is large enough not to be eaten by someone else I would keep him with his parents, they like company.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm gonna keep him separated a little bit longer because I have a pair of angels that I think would love to make a meal out of him. I'll feed him crushed up flakes for now, and go out to get some frozen foods later today. ?thanks!

I'm raising albino corys ATM I would also say about a month or just under a month, I feed mine crushed flakes and they love them, I have a tank with a sponge filter and heater that they go in, I have heard a lot of people saying frozen food which you already have but I don't do brine shrimp or bloodworms, I do crushed flakes and a pea now and again,

I also change a little of the water everyday, as I remove all uneaten food everyday,

I'm trying to find the answer as to when they can go with adults without any threat of harm I would say in your case a good few months as you have angels and that, I've got one cory that's 2 and half months old only had 4 hatch, and a new load over 50 fry that hatched over a week ago, they also laid eggs few days ago and I left them in tank I THINK they ate all the eggs, but as you no yourself one or two might have survived,

Good luck it's fun watching them grow

Sent from my fish phone

Thanks, I know where I can get ahold of a tank and heater so I'll probably do that sometime today. My little sister has already named it "lucky" so I guess he's officially a part of the family now. I'll post some updates soon if I have time!

That's a good name lucky it certainly is after surviving being eaten and in a filter,

Good luck and look forward to seeing any updated pics in the future ?

Sent from my fish phone

Thanks! I look forward to seeing him grow!

Here's an update! Little Lucky is doing well, I have him in his own little tank (a little over three gallons) with filter and thermometer. I've been feeding him crushed flakes and brine shrimp and he seems to be doing great. I'll attach some pics! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409830533.654729.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409830548.688713.jpg

Back
Top Bottom