Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Surprise fish!

I just spent ages writing this then thought I'd put in some colour and all of it disappeared!

So I'll try and be more brief this time...

Lovely surprise, went to tank last night to feed fish as usual and there was a cm long red thing bouncing along the bottom.

We caught it and put it in the quarentine tank so that it isn't gobbled up by catfish or other fish?

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on looking after it cos i am a complete beginner to raising young fish and it is so sweet, beautiful and perfectly formed that I don't want the ickle thing to die.

Also will all the other babies have been snapped up by the other fish quickly cos there was only one and in my book it says they have ten to a hundred babies.

If she is likely to have more, how am I to know cos she has always looked like she looks now!

THANKS

Old 08-04-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what kind of fish is it that you think had the baby?

Old 08-04-2004, 11:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
Crush your flake food into a fine powder. Or if you can pick up some hikari first bites.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:14 AM   #4

Sorry, this info was included in the original post: I am presuming that the fish is a sunset platy cos it is a gorgeous minature version of my newest fish, a sunset platy. It does't really bear a resemblence to any of the others (well the only other livebearer is a black and white swordtail)!

I think I have some Hikari micropellets. These are for cardinal tetra, etc. Are these suitable or is what your talking about different, endgame?

Thanks for your replies.

PS. Should I put in some melafix since it is in a stressful environment or is it better to leave it be?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
You can try the micropellets, see if he eats them or not. Most people feed their fry baby brine shrimp, but I find hikari first bites to be a good alternative. And no, I dont think you need any melafix.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #6

The little Platy is eating the micropellets but I'll try and get the first bites anyway.

Should I be leaving the light on for normal time? I didn’t have it on at all at first but I've been increasing it over the last few days.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
do you have any hiding spots in the quarentine tank? itll make it feel more comfy and then it wont matter about the light time. plus i dont think it'll matter that much unless the lights are on for more then 12 hours a day

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com