surprise fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribkeeper00011

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Came home today and discovered that my kribensis have had babies. The male is bordering homicidal behavior towards the other fish in the tank. I am also concerned about the survial of the fry. Anyone have any advice on lowering the tension and keeping the fry alive. I have a ten gallon sick tank set up. I would like to move the kribensis and fry into it, but I am leary of moving the fry. How mature do the fry have to be , to be saftley move?

buy a 10 gallon and move the other fish into it temporarily? or you could move the kribs and the fry but I'd be more inclined to leave the kribs and the fry alone.

How exciting!!! Congrats on the fry!

How big is your tank that you have them in now? How many other fish are in there?

I personally would leave them alone. If they have made it this far, you have a good chance of most of them surviving. Kribensis parents are mean and very protective.

They are in a 40L along with 2 yellow gourami, 1 dwaf gourami, 3 danios, 5 neons and a large pleco. 12 en toto, most of which I rescued from an old house mate. I also have a 29g and a 35L in progress, funds permitting. I think one of them is going to become a breeder tank. You weren't kidding about mean, one of my gourami just hit the tank lid trying to escape the male kribs rampage. Thanks for reply

Wow it just hit me like a ton of bricks, you should buy a tank devider :wink:

buy a 10 gallon and move the other fish into it temporarily?
I would move the others; although catching them will be stressful on the kribs. A tank divider may work, if the daddy doesn't mind seeing the other fish.

Atleast it would be able to stop him from actually attacking them, or they will know he cant get to them. Maybe he could get a Black divider hehe.

Never breed any cihclid in a community tank!! 8O

Any spawning cichlid will go total aggresiion to any other fish.

Try a tank divider, or moving the male Krinbens to your 10gal.

Dan :)

I would also suggest you move the other fish to a different tank if possible. There are some fish you can put in with your Kribs that are breeding (and they will probably keep breeding once a month from now on). I have an African biotope tank with a pair of Kribs and some Congo Tetras and Upsidedown Catfish. The Congo Tetras act as dither fish to make the Kribs feel at home. Since the Congo Tetras shoal at the middle levels of the tank, and the Kribs usually stay near the bottom, I only occasionally see the Kribs dart at the Congo Tetras to make them keep their distance.

Back
Top Bottom