Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

sword tail breeding

I have 2 female n one male sword tales any one how would I encourage them to bread ?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Basically when it comes to livebearers no encouragement is not often needed. Give it time you will have fry

Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you...

Funny enough I come home today to find a semmie fat sword tale, how long does it take for them to bear the fry if pregnant and should I put the fish in a breeding net if it is pregnant?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It take about 6-8 weeks for the total process. Dont move the fish out if the tank. Just feed your fish extra a little before she gives birth. Then they won't eat the fry. Also try and keep lots of plants and ornaments and whatnot. Breeders stress fish out. Btw if you do do the plant method you will still lose some fish but it gives your adult females a better chance of not dying after the birthing process.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Right ok thank you

I watched a video on their behavior when they mate last night and I have seen that in my tank so I think she may be pregnant, also last night I watch the male n the might be pregnant female display aggressive behavior to one another as if they were fighting any reason for this?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindogg
Right ok thank you

I watched a video on their behavior when they mate last night and I have seen that in my tank so I think she may be pregnant, also last night I watch the male n the might be pregnant female display aggressive behavior to one another as if they were fighting any reason for this?
How many females do you have? You should have 2-3 females for every male
Old 10-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have 1 male n 2 females so it's about right the ratio
Old 10-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Having had recent success with swordtail breeding, I would advise the following, she can store sperm for up to 6 broods of fry, so once the first brood is born, note the date, approximately every 4 weeks after you will have fry, they can give birth to up to 40 fry, the adults WILL eat the fry if not protected as they are only 2-3mm at birth, I would recommend a good breeding tank which stops the fry going up to the adult. Once born, transfer to a breeding net & feed liqiufry food for live bearering fish until around 2 weeks when they are able to consume finely crushed flake food.

Hope this helps. Anything else, please ask.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow thats is a lot to take in lol thanks for that advise tho I know what to prepare for.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hahaha it is a lot to take in but would recommend it. Agree with swordtaillover above, a breeding tank does stress them out slightly but from my experience you will get more surviving fry that way & as long as Mum isn't in for more than 2 days, she will be fine.

Over the weekend there, my gold comet & black swordtails gave birth to over 40 surviving fry. Sadly a lot of the comets were still born but this is common from overbreeding/inbreeding. Shall see my local store when taking the fry in to him about giving me another couple of males & females to try to stop this from.happening in future.

Tags
breed, breeding, sword, tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com