swordtail fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1873teddy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, my gold comet swordtail has now had 2 batches of fry & my black swortdail has had 1 batch, my question is, all of the fry appear to be female, is there a particular reason for this? Is it due to water temperature or simply what happens? I have managed to rescue 12 gold comets & 4 blacks, 2 of the latter appear translucent so hopefully remain that way or go silver/white. Really intruiged to see how they turn out.

They are born female and as they get older some will turn male. Good luck with the fry

Thanks Jemma, do you have any idea up to what age they can turn male at all?

Heard something similar from a friend but wasn't sure.

it will take a couple of months before you can tell what the gender is. you just have to be patient because the males just don't grow their swords for a while. best of luck to you.

Swordtaillover

Thanks also Swortaillover, it's amazing how fast these fish grow, the original 2 that survived the first batch are only 5-6 weeks & already about 1 - 1 1/2 inches.

I'm now in the process of setting up a 30 litre tank for the fry to allow them to flourish in their own environment so there is no chance of them being eaten & also to make them easier to catch when I take to my local independant fish store at around 8 weeks. Plus they will be easier to photograph in that tank rather than in the breeding net.

Should be able to give him a good supply every few months, hopefully get food in return.

ForumRunner_20121011_133326.jpg

ForumRunner_20121011_133351.jpg

ForumRunner_20121011_133414.jpg

Here we go guys, first images of my 14 swordtail fry. Hope you get pleasure from them :)

Cheers Taylor!

I'm delighted with them! As mentioned, I have 10 gold comet fry & 4 from my black swordtail pair, 2 of those fry are jet black while the other 2 are transparent, I am intruiged as to how they turn out when they mature. They almost look blue at the moment, more than likely become silver. Is anyone aware of a silver swordtail breed?

How r the fry doing. I would love to sees one pics of them more matured now.

I remember a pair of red swordtails that have 104 babies (I counted them). Eventually I lost the male and in about 3 months the female grew a tail and changed into a male. This is common for swordtail fish...

Good luck with the babies.

Back
Top Bottom