Swordtail guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CScherer01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a female fancy guppy, there were two others but about 6 weeks ago, but they jumped ship. She gave birth to about 30 fry after the other two guppies where gone. I removed all of the fry and gave them to the local fish store. Now she is pregnant again (one must of popped out early and is swimming around) and i cant figure out how. The only other fish in the tank are a cory cat, zebra loach, and a swordtail. Recently the swordtail has gotten aggressive towards the guppy if that means anything. Is it posable that the sword tail and guppy mated? The one new fry does have a really long tail. . .

A guppy can store sperm from a male for months and several births. It's just left over sperm from the first pregnancy

the tail on fry shouldnt really be developed until they are a few months old to be honest.

There are Swordtail guppies. But not because they bred with a Swordtail fish. It is a variation in the breed.

I have had some guppies, which came out as Swordtail, I guess can be a recessive trait from its ancestors.

Also I have a female guppy which mated with a Cobra Guppy six months before she had her Cobra babies!!! (Cobra passed away so I know how long it was.)

Storing fert eggs for that long is pretty interesting. I'm lucky that my local fish store takes the fry willingly, probably for feeders (but don't tell my girlfriend that!). Thanks for all the input, it was very helpful. Lesson learned, no more guppies!

Back
Top Bottom