Swordtail help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skys54

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had this swordtail for two pregnancies now, the first on I didn't get to se because the other fish in my tank ate the fry but this time I separated her into a breeding trap when she started to hang around the bottom corner of the tank. The was close to a week ago can someone tell me how far away from dropping is my swordtail ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405683973.648564.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Not an expert but looks as if you've missed it this time :( our swords won't stay in breeders (their jumpers) and seem to hold onto fry for weeks we have 2 that have been boxed off for at least 3 weeks! I don't know what you would do in this situation wait for the more experienced to come along. Nice wee fish though hope she gives you some fry soon ?

Your Livebearer

I've had this swordtail for two pregnancies now, the first on I didn't get to se because the other fish in my tank ate the fry but this time I separated her into a breeding trap when she started to hang around the bottom corner of the tank. The was close to a week ago can someone tell me how far away from dropping is my swordtail View attachment 243559

Hello Sky...

Moving pregnant livebearing fish is stressful. Under stress, the female can hold the fry indefinitely until conditions are favorable for fry survival. I would perform a larger than normal water change and make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer. Add a bit of standard aquarium salt to the new water, it has a calming affect on the fish. A healthy teaspoon for every 5 gallons of replacement water is enough. The amount won't bother any other fish and won't harm plants.

Give the female a couple of days to get used to her new situation. If you don't see fry, then return her to normal living conditions. Start feeding all the fish a little more and a little more often. If the female has the fry after you've returned her to normal tank conditions, the well fed adult fish will be less likely to bother the fry.

I don't move my pregnant livebearers. I do feed all my fish more often, so the adults aren't hungry. I also heavily plant the surface with Hornwort and Anacharis. These plants help maintain a steady water chemistry and give the female and fry places to hide. So, I have a high fry survival rate.

B

Thank you for that advice.
I do feed my fish a bit of food enough so that some sinks to the bottom, because my angel fish and male swordtail like to hang around the bottom and forage for it.
I have plenty of place for the fry to hide but money for live plants, even artificial plants is a huge issue.
The female in question isn't stressed, she's eating and interacting with the male on the out side (half the reason I moved her was because the male was stressing her out)
Now I know I should have more than one female to one male but I did that, I put two females in because I knew the male was slightly aggressive, and he was he killed the other female by stressing her out, and the money issue is preventing me from buying another female.

But again thank for the helpful advice I have noticed improvement with her (she's getting bigger in the belly) I will try the salt and water change and let you know how it went.

Back
Top Bottom