Tank for fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keedee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I had some fry born kind of unexpectedly. Right now they're separated in a breeding box in the main tank but I've done some reading and I know I have to move them soon.

My problem is - where. I have a completely empty old 30 gallon. But I don't have a heater/filter/light for it and I can't afford a complete set up for a new tank right now but I also want to keep the baby fish. I've never been able to keep fry alive before and these guys have been alive for almost a week. Plus even if I did get it all set up - it wouldn't be done cycling until long after they needed a new tank, right?

Personally I'd rather not simply just release them into the main tank but is that my only option? Thanks!

you could get a divider and partition it off . You could get a cheap heater for your 30. A clamp light from walmart (5 bucks ish). Bare bottom would be fine for a breeder . And if u dont have a air pump laying around maybe 10 ish . And prob 2 sponge filters would be fine . So for a little over 25 bucks u could get that 30 up and running , put some gravel is some panty hose to get some seasoned media in there. Good luck with your new fry :)

Thank you! I didn't realize I could do it for that cheap.

Though I'm not sure what to do. Currently everything is in a ten gallon tank. I dug up the old tank and it turns out it's a twenty gallon. I think I want to move all the adults into the 20 and keep fry in the ten. Right now the 10 had an AquaClear 30 on it. Can I use that for the fry if I cover the intake with pantyhose or something? And then invest in a AquaCler 50 for the adults in the 20? Or should I just not mess with things too much and wait to move them and give the fry the 20 gal with sponge filters?

Hmm personally I would move the adults to your larger tank and the 10 gallon would be perfect for your fry tank . And yeah panty hose works or some filter sponge elastic banded around it . You could weed your larger aqua clear with some of the media from your old tank too .

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom