Tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a pair of kribs matched up now and the female has dug out her cave under a rock she was under there for a few good days to. The male and female were guarding their little cave to. I thought they had there eggs but nothing! Now it's like a week later they aren't going in the cave as much and the female is still gravid. Any ideas on what could have happened?
It's in a 29g with two gouramis, two sae, and two rams is it that I have to many other species or should that matter?

Also is there any other pairs of fish I could get

mollies, swordtails, platies, and guppies are easy to breed and colorfull. they are also great community tank mates.

Fishman13 said:
mollies, swordtails, platies, and guppies are easy to breed and colorfull. they are also great community tank mates.

I had a pair of swordtails but fir some reason my females all kept changing to male but how many more pairs would you recommend me getting?

1 male and two females for every pair. U can get any type of the fish I recommended but for best fry results get 2 females for 1 male.

Fishman13 said:
What type of fish did u want to get???

Not sure I was thinking glass cat but I don't no if they need brackish water or not so ya. I would really like some cockatoo cichlids. I was looking mollies but nothing really sticks out to me. I should get another femLe krib so I have to pairs of those maybe. Then I can use them as center pieces.

Swordtails are really cool did u look at them at your lfs. Also if u have cichlids they need there own tank.

Fishman13 said:
Swordtails are really cool did u look at them at your lfs. Also if u have cichlids they need there own tank.

I have kribensis and German blue rams as far as cichlids go right now. I also had some swordtails before (2 female 1 male) but all my females changed to males??? But are those cichlids compatible with anything else other then cichlids?

I have kribensis and German blue rams as far as cichlids go right now. I also had some swordtails before (2 female 1 male) but all my females changed to males??? But are those cichlids compatible with anything else other then cichlids?

Any cichlids should only be with other cichlids not any other fish.

As the swordtails go the only way to make sure they are male is if they have a gonopodium. The females don't here is a pic http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/fish2/swordtail-2-male.jpg the thing under its belley is the gonopodium

Is the cichlids thing just because of aggression. People put angelfish in aquariums all the time with any type of fish

German Blue Rams and Kribensis are Chichlids, but they are Peaceful Cichlids - so they are in fact compatible with community fish like Mollies, Guppies, etc.

But they are NOT compatible with other cichlids (African or South American lake Cichlids) because those other cichlids will bully the Kribs and GBRs to death.

Angelfish are also like Kribs and GBRs - they come from the cichlid family but they are peaceful enough to be with community fish.

My male krib isnt peaceful just full of energy and wants to spawn so he does chase his share of fish

Kribensis are supposed to be peaceful as long as they aren't spawning, once they begin spawning however they can become quite aggressive

Rams, kribs, angels, and keyholes are the cichlids that can be kept in community tanks.

Back
Top Bottom