Temp. for a baby fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a little platy baby that was born last Thurs I think.

I was wondering if the baby should be kept at the same temp. as you keep the adult Platy at (my tank is around 250c as it is a communal tank) or whether it should be different. At the moment the little fish is at about 300C cos of the heat but I was wondering whether I should do a water change to get the temp. down.

Also I haven't been sure whether to keep the light on for the full amount of time so I have been increasing it every day, does this sound okay?

Thanks!

I would keep the baby at the same temp as the adults.

If you do a water change to get the temp down it will likely climb back up again anyway, and the fluctuations in temp are very hard on the fish. It is probably better to use a fan blowing across the top of the tank or leave the lights on for shorter periods (if you think it is the lighting heating up the tank) to keep the tank at a stable temp. When you do your regular water change, try to match the temp of the tank as closely as possible, within several degrees.

Am I correct that 300C is about 86F (or 30C)?

Thanks for replying.

The high temp. at the mo is caused by the sunlight shining through the window, so I will have to ask my mum not to open the curtains.

I will move the baby's temp. down a bit.

Do you think the light should be on for the same time as the mum?

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom