Tetra pregnancy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I noticed one of my tetras has a HUGE belly compared to the rest of them. I read up a bit about neon pregnancy and, from what I determine, it's not an easy process as it would be compared to guppies, Molly's etc.

I have attached 2 pics below. One of the Tetra on its own then one as a group to show the size difference between them and the others.

The given Tetra has also been staying quite close to the corners of the tank and seems unwilling to swim out into the open with the rest of the school. Don't know if that's a trait to look out for also.

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_104834.jpg
    IMG_20200603_104834.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200603_104901_MP.jpg
    IMG_20200603_104901_MP.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 29
I'm not a breeding expert when it comes to fish, but tetras cannot become pregnant, they are egg laying species. I would first rule out any soft of bloat diseases first.

I'm not a breeding expert when it comes to fish, but tetras cannot become pregnant, they are egg laying species. I would first rule out any soft of bloat diseases first.

Yeah I read up about them not being live bearers which led me to here. The colours aren't as vibrant as the smaller ones as I did consider it being neon tetra disease but its moving around fine with no visible lumps or signs aside from the belly being swollen along with the reduced colour.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days, it just seems to have ballooned suddenly. Water paratmers are - 7.5PH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20ppm nitrates. Water temp is around 25C.

Back
Top Bottom