The lesser evil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My pregnant platy is due to birth tonight or tomorrow. I've noticed her being frantically chased by the males, as well as the yoyo loaches who chase her out of every hiding spot, and the penguin tetras are watching her every move. I've moved her into a little breeding box, but I hate it, it's tiny and flimsy. What do you reckon? Is it better to leave her in the tank to be harassed, or keep her in the box to give her some peace? (I'm actually not too fussed about saving the fry, more just concerned for her welfare).

Attachments

• image-3151930603.jpg
    image-3151930603.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image-494598856.jpg
    image-494598856.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1406692936.jpg
    image-1406692936.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 65
My pregnant platy is due to birth tonight or tomorrow. I've noticed her being frantically chased by the males, as well as the yoyo loaches who chase her out of every hiding spot, and the penguin tetras are watching her every move. I've moved her into a little breeding box, but I hate it, it's tiny and flimsy. What do you reckon? Is it better to leave her in the tank to be harassed, or keep her in the box to give her some peace? (I'm actually not too fussed about saving the fry, more just concerned for her welfare).

How scary for her! Keep her in the box, away from the light with a piece of plant for cover. If you have some frozen worms I'm sure she'd appreciate them.

How scary for her! Keep her in the box, away from the light with a piece of plant for cover. If you have some frozen worms I'm sure she'd appreciate them.

Thanks, ill try pop something over the lid of her box to reduce the glare somewhat. There is a bit of plant in there for her but I'll pop some more in. I have freeze dried tubifex ill pop in there for her. (I hate the box though ... If I try remove the lid the whole thing seems to fall apart. I don't rate it at all! Avoid API breeder boxes!!)

Thanks, ill try pop something over the lid of her box to reduce the glare somewhat. There is a bit of plant in there for her but I'll pop some more in. I have freeze dried tubifex ill pop in there for her. (I hate the box though ... If I try remove the lid the whole thing seems to fall apart. I don't rate it at all! Avoid API breeder boxes!!)

I have the ones that have a plastic frame with a stretch net around it. They have an optional horizontal divider to allow the fry to fall to the lower level away from mamma, and an optional vertical divider for the isolation of two fish. I mostly use them without any dividers. I got them off eBay- no name Chinese products, but exceptionally handy.

Yeah that sounds like an idea. Mine has all those dividers too but they just rest inside and don't 'clip' into place at all. Get it wedged in, put it in the water and it 'floats' off again. She looks rather happy now. Last time I tried it with my other platy, it was horrible! She refused to birth in it and waited until the moment I released her! But she can hold her own in the tank. She's big mama for a reason. Little mama (the yellow one in there now) is younger and a little more polite.

They're all so curious!!

Attachments

• image-3957052470.jpg
    image-3957052470.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 66
Had to adjust it all. 2 of the bigger fry got in! They managed to get on top and fall through the holes in the lid. I've lifted the whole thing so the lid is totally out of the water. I see this whole thing potentially being a disaster. Definitely buying a better trap.

More like waiting for a feast! :-(

You say that, I have never witnessed the platys eating fry. I know they are supposed to! The culprits in my tank are the penguin tetras. They sit and wait, as soon as one pops out they lunge. And I sit there helpless, watching and shouting at them to stop it!

Fortunately... We have BABIES! So I can release her in the morning. Two so far but it's only early evening yet.

Attachments

• image-106399351.jpg
    image-106399351.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 65
Had to adjust it all. 2 of the bigger fry got in! They managed to get on top and fall through the holes in the lid. I've lifted the whole thing so the lid is totally out of the water. I see this whole thing potentially being a disaster. Definitely buying a better trap.
I got sick of those small traps. Mine was a marina, so small. I like to keep the fry, so I use a reptile/fish box. It's basically a large plastic box. It's a 2ltr volume box and is a lot bigger than those traps. They should be readily available in you LFS or online. Various sizes. I put some fake plants into it, for the fry. I use strong algae magnets to secure it to the glass(inside!!)......

Ha, oh dear... They're escaping! There's a few on the outside of the box now. I give up. When this is over, I'll only too happily get a hammer and smash this box up.
Thanks Ian, that's an excellent idea.

Back
Top Bottom