The "Perfect" 10G Guppy breeding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dewiro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i've recently bought a 10G tank that I intended to use for guppy breeding. My intentions with the guppies are to breed them mostly as a feeder fish, but also do some selective breeding. Right now in the tank are about 40 guppy fry, 5 ghost shrimp and a lot of snails. So what i'm trying to find out, is what would be considered the "perfect" guppy breeder tank. Right now I have a 10-20g filter and a air line filter on the other side of the tank. I also have several fake plants, some floating and some on the bottom. For the larger guppy fry I feed them crushed flakes, and for the smaller ones I have HBH Baby bites. Water temperature stays between 78-80. So like I said, i'm trying to figure out the "perfect" guppy breeder tank setup. Any help is appreciated

honestly, the best guppy breeding tank to me is a larger tank. If you are planning to do any selective breeding at all, then you'll need multiple tanks. My guppy tanks are all 15 and 20g's, I have one tank for adults and one tank for fry of each strain.

Unfortunately that big of an operation is not an option right now. I don't plan on getting into the intense breeding. I plan on keeping a selective few that I like and keep them breeding. Occasionally throwing in a newly bought guppy

Sorry for the confusion of what j meant by "selective breeding". I think the idea of what you have going on sounds great its just unrealistic right now for me

if you want to keep it simple then you just need a breeder box to separate fry from adults, but one spawn of 20-30 fish will have the tank overstocked in short order, so its best to separate the breeding group from the fry unless you have a bigger tank.

hey man i just did this today after reading up about it. i found out here at this thread Easy breeding tanks. I picked up some 1 gallon jars from wallmart (they have glass cookie jars and what not, even plastic ones if u want to save money) i put a light over them and a bunch of live plants, a bubbler with a small airstone inside, and i made a miny manual filter out of a medicine bottle.

i use a turkey baister to clean the water. i do a 10% change every day. i just suck some wate out, put it all in a jar, and then poor that in to the medicine bottle filter and let it drip back in to the tank. u can keep a bunch of females in one, ur favorite males in another, and raise fry in a third. u'd be suprised how little space u need to raise fry. but u will need a bigger tank as a female tank (10-20 should do, u could prob keep 20-40 females respectively in those tanks) and you can put the prettier males in ur community tank.

amazingly easy to maintain, keep track of ur fry/breeder guppies, and seperate the young from the old. and its super cheap to start up! **** u dont even need a filter (hand made or not), u just need to do a 10% water change every other day and skim the slime off the top water line everday

The "perfect" guppy breeding tank is longer tank. I use 3 29 gallon long tanks. They like shallow water which is where the long tanks come into play. The temperature of the tank should be 82 degrees and you need to use sponge filters when dealing with breeding guppies. Live plants are also optimal for the tank. And a lot of it. The more folliage the better.

DukeNukem713 said:
hey man i just did this today after reading up about it. i found out here at this thread Easy breeding tanks. I picked up some 1 gallon jars from wallmart (they have glass cookie jars and what not, even plastic ones if u want to save money) i put a light over them and a bunch of live plants, a bubbler with a small airstone inside, and i made a miny manual filter out of a medicine bottle.

i use a turkey baister to clean the water. i do a 10% change every day. i just suck some wate out, put it all in a jar, and then poor that in to the medicine bottle filter and let it drip back in to the tank. u can keep a bunch of females in one, ur favorite males in another, and raise fry in a third. u'd be suprised how little space u need to raise fry. but u will need a bigger tank as a female tank (10-20 should do, u could prob keep 20-40 females respectively in those tanks) and you can put the prettier males in ur community tank.

amazingly easy to maintain, keep track of ur fry/breeder guppies, and seperate the young from the old. and its super cheap to start up! **** u dont even need a filter (hand made or not), u just need to do a 10% water change every other day and skim the slime off the top water line everday

IMO its a terrible idea. I wouldnt even keep one guppy in there. They deserve more then a jar with a layer of slime on the surface. Again just my personal opinion.

I would definitely NOT put 20 females in a 10 gallon tank.
I dont do any selective breeding, I just separate the fry until they are big enough to not get eaten by the other guppies, then put them in same tank. I chose pretty females to start with, so mine all have ended up looking very nice. A bigger tank than 10 would be good, but since you are not talking about a huge number and you want to use most of them as feeders anyhow, I agree with jeta that breeders nets are your best option.
You can also put sponge filters and heaters into 5 gallon buckets for grow-out. But be careful not to crown it too much or they will get stresed and sick. The same thing can be done with big rubbermaid tubs.

Back
Top Bottom