These two different fish are breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just saw my platy male breed with my female bumble bee molly. Is this a thing? Or is it because they are in a tank together? He is the only platy amongst mollys, and last week I brought home a female platy for him. I don't see them mating but they just seem to swim together for now. But a platy and a bumble bee molly mating? :ermm:

I was under the impression platys cannot breed with mollies... Period. I've heard platys can breed with swordtails but I thought that was it as far as cross-breeding platys? Anybody else have info on this? I am super curious.

This is what I was told too. And the funny thing is, he was the only platy and I had him for 1.5 months. During this time, he tried mating with them but they didn't give him the time of day, to the point I saw him laying on the floor lifeless for about 2 day. Nervous, thinking he'll die, I ran out for a female platy and he came back to life the next morning! He literally started swimming and eating the next day, just as active as before! It was just 2 days ago when I caught him with the bumble bee molly.

I suppose he could have tried to breed with your molly- maybe mistaking her for a fellow platy (but that doesn't seem logical...)? Perhaps it just looked like he was trying to breed her when he could have been just checking her out/playing with her/saying hello in fish...?
I assume she is not actually bred by him (no pregnancy will happen)- I just don't think that's physically possible. :blink:

I keep several different varieties of both platys and mollies in my community tank and have never seen anything that even looked remotely like they were trying to cross-breed.
I would be sooooo intrigued (and shocked) if a pregnancy did occur in your case! :lol:

Ha, that would be interesting! The platy took his anal fin and stuck it in you know where, ha! And the bumble bee molly didn't even snap at him! It happened a few times that day and haven't seen it happen again. Who knows!

Just saw it happen again! So do we count down 30 days until fry?? :brows::lol:

Back
Top Bottom