Think i have a pregnant guppy on my hands. How do i know when she has fry? (Newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacobThomson

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have 1 make and 2 female guppy, 1 of which I think is pregnant, I've ordered a fry net, but when do I put her I'm there? How do I know when she's going to have the fry? What do fry look like? I'm new to this so any help would be appreciated? Thanks!

Hi im a newbie too...congrats on ur prego guppy... they say u know the guppy is ready to give birth when u see black dots or the dark gravid spot...i have a preo guppy too, but im not sure if my platy is...

Hi im a newbie too...congrats on ur prego guppy... they say u know the guppy is ready to give birth when u see black dots or the dark gravid spot...i have a preo guppy too, but im not sure if my platy is...

Thanks! Just need to know all of the basics.

When they are about to give birth they will be very square looking. The gravid spot will probably be dark most of the time you have the fish, except right after giving birth.

When they are about to give birth they will be very square looking. The gravid spot will probably be dark most of the time you have the fish, except right after giving birth.

Okay, so when it gets square looking put it into the trap?

I wouldnt go with the trap at all, last time i used that my female platy died from stress. and never had her fry. maybe try lots of plants in one corner of the tank. fish find that relaxing. plus the fry would have a nice place to hide from the big fish.

I wouldnt go with the trap at all, last time i used that my female platy died from stress. and never had her fry. maybe try lots of plants in one corner of the tank. fish find that relaxing. plus the fry would have a nice place to hide from the big fish.

Okay but what If the mother decides to eat them?

Newborn fry are incredibly fast. Blink and you'll miss it. They dart out of sight so quickly, you'll be surprised. You won't save all of them, but you'll save a surprising amount by allowing her to birth in the tank and providing good plant cover.

Newborn fry are incredibly fast. Blink and you'll miss it. They dart out of sight so quickly, you'll be surprised. You won't save all of them, but you'll save a surprising amount by allowing her to birth in the tank and providing good plant cover.

Okay thanks!

Yeah, the most dangerous moment is right after they've been born, they sort of fall out and it takes them a second to go 'argh!!!' And then they dart off into the plants. It's quite amusing to watch!

Yeah, the most dangerous moment is right after they've been born, they sort of fall out and it takes them a second to go 'argh!!!' And then they dart off into the plants. It's quite amusing to watch!

Hopefully I can see it, don't want it to happen in the middle of the night!

Welcome aboard! Friend of mine has guppy tank where they breed like crazy. Good thing you got 2 females, I heard that one of each sex can stress poor female put to death. Those guppy boys are very active and full of testosterone:) In my friend's guppy tank there os no breeder boxes or anything. You can see babies of different sizes all over the tank which leads me to believe that if there is plenty of room for everybody to swim, lots and lots of places to hide (live plants being best choice) and if you don't starve your fish, most of your fry should survive unless there some weak ones. And I agree that guppy babies are VERY FAST swimmers:) good luck!

I've always put my mom in a breeder net with a couple plants. That way the fry are safe. Then after mom gives birth you need to separate her from the rest of the fish, she needs time to rest. After birth stress often kills the mom.

Welcome aboard! Friend of mine has guppy tank where they breed like crazy. Good thing you got 2 females, I heard that one of each sex can stress poor female put to death. Those guppy boys are very active and full of testosterone:) In my friend's guppy tank there os no breeder boxes or anything. You can see babies of different sizes all over the tank which leads me to believe that if there is plenty of room for everybody to swim, lots and lots of places to hide (live plants being best choice) and if you don't starve your fish, most of your fry should survive unless there some weak ones. And I agree that guppy babies are VERY FAST swimmers:) good luck!

Thanks for the advice, ill keep you posted on how many she has:)

I've always put my mom in a breeder net with a couple plants. That way the fry are safe. Then after mom gives birth you need to separate her from the rest of the fish, she needs time to rest. After birth stress often kills the mom.

Some people say i should use one, other say I shouldn't, not sure if I should or not:/

Well I can only speak from my personal experience, I had to because my danios would eat them up as soon as they were born. I've also set up a gold fish bowl with a heater and filter and put some of the tank water water in it along with fresh water and some plants. I then transferred in mom. That way you have a place for the fry to grow into a decent size and then transfer them into your main tank. Make sure you put a sponge on your filter intake or a piece of panty hose. I found that this method works great. I will also put a divider in the main tank temporarily to keep mom separate from the other fish, so she can relax.

Well I can only speak from my personal experience, I had to because my danios would eat them up as soon as they were born. I've also set up a gold fish bowl with a heater and filter and put some of the tank water water in it along with fresh water and some plants. I then transferred in mom. That way you have a place for the fry to grow into a decent size and then transfer them into your main tank. Make sure you put a sponge on your filter intake or a piece of panty hose. I found that this method works great. I will also put a divider in the main tank temporarily to keep mom separate from the other fish, so she can relax.

Okay great thanks. I shall try all of these methods! Want them all to survive!

Okay but what If the mother decides to eat them?

I wouldn't worry about it unless your planning on keeping and selling them. They probably wouldn't eat them anyway (guppies being of the poecila family have smaller mouths) so the fry can stay in the plant bundle for a month or two, and by then they should be big enough to not get eaten. Hope this helped:)

Back
Top Bottom