Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Third times the charm... BNP Guarding

I was doing a pwc on my 55 gallon yesterday and noticed my male BNP guarding again. I didn't get too excited since the last two batches of eggs he got lazy with and took "breaks" from. They ended up rotting.

BUT!

I looked a little closer cause I noticed some movement... And success! I have between 50-75 Bristlenose Pleco fry! They are a little smaller than a quarter inch and are JUST starting to lose their little food sacks. I moved them all to a breeder net for the time being, making sure to add a mix of fake and live plants for cover, and a bunch of small pieces of driftwood.

Im not sure whether I should keep them in the breeder net for now, move them over to a soon to be empty, bare bottomed five gallon tank, or start up my twenty tall tank. It has a crack at the top, but I am able to fill it up at least half way, so that would be 10-15 gallons instead of just 5.

Any advice to keep them going?

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would separate because if it fits in the mouth, it will be eaten. I'd use the 20 and use a sponge filter

Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Congrats! Hope it all goes well for you. I found some BNP fry in one of my tanks little over a week ago. Just a warning that they poop.... A LOT, so the bigger the tank you can get them in the better IMO. I've got 20-30 with Ma and Pa in a 26g and have to vacuum every second day.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com