tiger barbs are dropping eggs. do i have everything i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkilling1

Aquarium Advice Addict
finally, i transferred my female tiger barb out of the 75 gal tank and into a 5 gal tank yesterday. I moved the male over when i got home from work and instantly they started dropping eggs. :D

here is the setup:

5 gal tank, 25W heater, sponge filter, 50/50 fake/live plants. but i left the gravel in there. i know i should have removed it, but it is to late now.

so from reading all (a lot) of the posts on here, i should feed the free swimming fry egg yoke? i have some wardley small fry food. it looks like egg yoke when you add it to the tank. is this any good? says it contains:
water, egg product, yeast extract, citric acid, freeze-dried calanoid copepods. does that sound better then just egg yoke? i have BBS eggs to hatch when they are big enough.

i see i will have to add 2.5 mls of H2O2 3% twice daily to stop fungus. (after i move the parents?)

and also remove any white eggs.

what am i missing?

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

The H2O2 should not hurt the parents so it should be added 2-3 times a day until the fry are free swimming at least.

On another note... I currently have LOTS of GBR fry and I am feeding them this Cyclopzeeze (spelling?) stuff which I add to some of the tank water that I remove, and then "stir" with a baster by rapidly sucking in and expelling water. I then add this solution to the tank. I also am using powdered egg yolk which was recommended to me by a guy at the LFS who breeds different types of fish. The stuff is cheap and can be found online by googling "powdered egg yolk". He claims that the growth rate for the fish is phenominal when feeding them this along with the cyclopzeeze stuff. I feed with the powdered egg yolk the same way in case you were wondering.

Oh one more thing...make sure to have good circulation in the tank for the eggs. I know you said that you were keeping the parents in there but it wouldn't hurt to have the water moving a little.

well i figure i should follow up my original post.

i guess none of the eggs were fertile. so no new fishies for me. i guess it happens more commonly for the first mating. i will keep you updated when i go to breed them again.

it's time for another go at this. rightnow i just removed the parents from the 5 gal tank and they left behind hundreds of eggs. hopefully this time will prove to be much better then the last.

same setup as last time, but i removed the gravel.

EDIT:

LOL. i guess i removed them too soon. they are now continuing their 'dance' in the main tank. that has never happened before.

I guess I am going to have to purchase another male. Mine seems to be unable to reproduce. all the eggs remained white and most have fungused.

Well it's that time again.

I purchased two additional tiger barbs about a month ago to make my stock 4 now. And here they are:
Picture_011.JPG

Last night I set the 5 gal up, just like before, and this morning I put the old female in it. After 6 hours, I put the new male in and now they are dropping eggs. So we will see how this one goes. I also have about 30 guppy fry to hold to me over if this goes sour. :lol:

well from that pic, that female sure is fat. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

*just added four green tigers to my school of six tigers. They love it!*

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

we have wigglers!!!!

I just counted at least 20 little guys in the 5 gallon. I was getting worried for a minute there. A lot of the eggs where getting fungused.

After 3 months of trying, wow, I finially did it, well, 'they' finally did it! Now comes the hard part, raising them. If raising them is harder then getting them to hatch, then I am in for one heck of a ride. LOL.

well we are up to atleast 75 wigglers now. kinda hard to keep count. Getting the food ready for them now, egg yoke and BBS. As soon as they are free swimming, I am going to pull all of the plastic plants out and replace them with real and add some snails to help clean up food that doesn't get eaten.

So far so good. Today the fry start the change over to hikari first bites. They have been doing great on live BBS, frozen BBS, and egg yoke. I would have to say that I have atleast 75 fry. I still have some BBS that should hatch out tonight, so they will have a good supply of that for another 24 hours. All is looking good. I have no idea what I am going to do with all these guys!

It's been a wonderful month and 1/2 with the Tiger barb fry.

I don't know how many I have left. Most of them got eaten by guppy's, but I did removed 19 of them from my XP2 last week.

Here is a pic of a couple of them:

Tigerbarbs.JPG

Back
Top Bottom