Tiger Barbs Breeding Method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kalel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys!

I'm looking for a simple, not too complicated way to breed my tiger barb. I have been reading allot online, but you guys advice always hit home and are simpler.
Thanks!! :)

I would also like to know! Sorry to jump in without anything

I am attempting to spawn my gold barbs and I would guess they are similar in spawning....
I have three females and one male, feeding them frozen food and omega one flakes to get them in spawning condition. They are in a 20 gallon long tank. I would have the temp at about 75 degrees, but I have a female betta in there so the temp has to stay at about 78.
Not sure about the temp requirements for Tiger Barbs.
I'm doing large water changes to ensure that the water is real clean, and refilling the tank with water about 75-75 degrees to simulate a rain storm. I do this in the evening and turn the lights off. We'll see what that happens...

If this doesn't work, I'll set up a temporary 10g with a yarn clump to simulate some grassy plants. I'll move a pair in there and do water changes with cooler water, at night. Make sure to have dim lighting. Usually they'll spawn in the morning right after you turn the lights on, or in the evening after you turn them off. I would check for eggs a little bit after you turn the lights off and in the morning. If you spot any, remove the pair. If they don't spawn, keep trying.

Hope this helps :)

Condition the fish well on good quality flake and plenty of live/frozen foods. I used earthworms finely chopped too.

When the females are looking very fat, place the fish, preferably 2 males to each female in a breeding tank with some kind of coarse substrate or matting on the bottom. Some breeders use a layer of glass marbles, I used a geotextyle material made from woven strands of polypropylene. The eggs sink and disappear into this layer so the adults cannot eat them

Raise the temperature to 25C and wait for the action, which will normally take place just after lights on in the morning.

Good luck

Breeding the fish can be done easily but raising the fry takes effort. It's best done in a separate tank for the sake of the eggs and fry as the parents will be removed from the tank post spawn. Even in a heavily planted tank, the amount of fry that survive vs the amount of eggs that were laid is drastically different.
Pip Walter has a good plan for the breeding. You can also see a diagram of the eggcrate breeding grid I used to breed Tiger Barbs in my albums marked "Instruction pics".
Feel free to PM me if you still have questions.

Thanks Andy... I forgot to mention the 'remove the parents after spawning bit' !

Back
Top Bottom