Tiger barbs help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 6 tiger barbs in a 75 w/ sa cichlids they're really small like 1-2 inches and I just saw 2 of the barbs "fighting" they were sort of like biting each others tails like dogs chasing their tails, and now they r doing an almost locking lips kind of thing!! What r they doing!!!!!

Those are probably two males fighting for dominance. Its not really a big deal and is a normal part of their behavior. It is uncommon for serious injuries to occur from this kind of showing off... They will figure out whos boss eventually.

Nope, just normal. :) When I had my group of six, I had four females and two males... You could tell after awhile who was the most dominant fish. He was out the most, hung out with the ladies the most, and had the best color. Glad I could help!

The males typically have more red on them, particularly their nose. The females are also MUCH rounder than the males.

Nice pics of your TB's going at it! As was mentioned, perfectly normal. Don't be surprised if they go at it again a few more times... It's how they go about establishing their hierarchy.

Meant the tiger barbs, I have 3 convicts, 3 firemouth, and soon 1 jack Dempsey! The cons and fms r like 1/2-1 inch...and I have a hi-fin spotted pleco! All in a 75gal tank

I've had my tigers spawn in my 120 with cichlids and other fish (JDs, firemouths, syno catfish, pictus catfish, giant danios.) Nothing survived, but they would spawn.

If you want spawning and fry survival, get them a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom