Unexpected baby fry born today. HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bedleyt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my sunburst platy gave birth to 21 baby fry unexpectedly this morning. She had no gravid spot or a weight gain or a change in personality....so I had no idea. Anyway, I've never raised or researched about fry and how to care for them. But, I put them in a small tank (.50 gallon) and they seem to be doing fine. I literally have no idea on how to raise these guys, how often to feed and or change water, etc. I have isolated them from their parents, and the parents from the rest of my freshwater fish. So basically I have 3 tanks going, (3 gal. with 3 neon tetras and 2 white clouds, a 1 gal with the male and female sunburst platys, and a .5 gal. with 21 VERY small fry) is that too much?:confused: . But the main question is, How do I raise baby fry???:thanks:

So my sunburst platy gave birth to 21 baby fry unexpectedly this morning. She had no gravid spot or a weight gain or a change in personality....so I had no idea. Anyway, I've never raised or researched about fry and how to care for them. But, I put them in a small tank (.50 gallon) and they seem to be doing fine. I literally have no idea on how to raise these guys, how often to feed and or change water, etc. I have isolated them from their parents, and the parents from the rest of my freshwater fish. So basically I have 3 tanks going, (3 gal. with 3 neon tetras and 2 white clouds, a 1 gal with the male and female sunburst platys, and a .5 gal. with 21 VERY small fry) is that too much?:confused: . But the main question is, How do I raise baby fry???:thanks:

I totally empathize. I am in a similar position. My first batch, the girl at the lfs wanted them for her own tank to raise. My second and third batches I have not been so lucky.

For my second batch, I had a QT 5 gallon already cycled in case of sick fish. I put a nylon over the intake valve on the filter and have them in there. I read you are supposed to feed them 3 times a day. I either finely crush up regular flakes or turn freeze-dried brine shrimp in a fine powder. They are about 10 weeks and going strong.

Then came the third,batch. I have them in a cheapo 1 gallon with a bubbler, no filter, fake plants and some gravel. The water gets pretty gross so I try to siphone with a turkey baster and replace the water with pretreated prime water.

I know,I,can't keep them in there for much longer, but didn't know,what,else to do since no one,wants them.

I've been cycling a 14 gallon to eventually move the older fry to while still hoping to give a bunch away. Problem for me,right now,is I need the airstone of the 1 gallon and am pondering whether I should put all 23 fry in the cycled 5 gallon until the 14 is ready. I've posted in a few places, but haven't received a response.

I would suggest at least,finding something that is 1 gallon for the time being since you have a lot. You may not necessarily need to separate the parents,from their original,tank. If that, then you can use the 3 gallon for the fry. Or, sadly, you may need to invest in an additional tank - even if 5 gallon - and start cycling it with some,substrate from your main tank to transfer the fry to.

That is what I am trying to do until someone wants to have some.

Here, craigslist is not a good,resource,for,aquariums, but many people find great deals elsewhere.

Good luck. I feel for you!

Your three gallon is way overstocked, I would put the tetras/white clouds/platies in a 10 at least. Also schooling fish liked bigger groups- my neons are much happier in a group of 8 vs the group of three they used to be in
You can use boiled egg yolk to feed the fry, make green water (lettuce/spinach in a jar) or put a cycles prefilter sponge in the tank and the fry will likely feed off the micro organisms on it. Also a slow growing plant like Java moss would have micro organisms growing on it the fry could eat!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom