unexpected platy fry!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shammond15731

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I have been waiting on my 2 platys that I knew were (are) prego to have babies (still waiting by the way) and I come home today to find that my platy that I had in my QT has a baby!!!! She never looked prego what so ever!! She did not get the dark gravid spot never got near as fat as my other two and now she looks no different that she did before. Should I expect more fry from her or could this be it?? Also the little fry doesn't look like I had expected it doesn't just look like a pair of eyes with a tail it looks like a microscopic sized version of the momma, it is orange with blacktail and fins about a quarter of and inch long maybe and about a tenth of and inch wide. I will try to get a pic but not sure how steady I can be and zoom way in to see it.

And here is the newest member of our family!! (As long as we can keep him/her alive)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110427_212429.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110427_212429.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 133
Well since I wasn't expecting any fry for another week or 2 we just crushed up some flakes tiny until we can go to the lfs tomorrow for fry food. And yes it is such a cute little buger I just wish I knew if momma is going to have more or what is going on I don't even know when she had this one since nobody is home between 7am and 8pm today :S and like I said she doesn't look any different than she has since I have had her.

Live bearers can have fry over a weeks time so don't be surprised if u find more. Also if u really want to keep the fry u may want to buy a breeder net.

aww congrats on your surprise fry, and I agree, watch out for more, they are also super good about hiding! :)

Thanks!!! So far no more have been born, but I am so excited to just have this one and it is so stinkin cute!! I can't stop watching it, it really is amazing how tiny and busy it is!!

shammond15731 said:
Thanks!!! So far no more have been born, but I am so excited to just have this one and it is so stinkin cute!! I can't stop watching it, it really is amazing how tiny and busy it is!!

Good luck!!!

Just got a breeding net for the future births and I picked up some hikari first bites and some wardley liquid fry food does anyone have a favorite?

shammond15731 said:
Just got a breeding net for the future births and I picked up some hikari first bites and some wardley liquid fry food does anyone have a favorite?

IMO the "first bites" are better.

hey how can i tell if my platy is pregnant she hangs out at the top or bottom back corner or just away from all the other fish and she is pretty big

congrats, its a great experience, I have about 17 platy fry and 15 guppy fry at the moment aswell and am trying to raise them they are also my first and are now 1-2 weeks old.

You can either use the fry food you buy or you can boil and egg and dry the yolk, once dried you can grate it finely and feed it two your fry. Try to feed as often as you can for quick and healthy growth, raising the temperature will also help with growth and plenty of water changes will also help. make sure all uneaten food is removed.

Ryan do you have a pic u can share? Also I am absolutely no pro but my platy that is in the process of having fry now is orange and you cannot see the dark gravid spot behind her belly, which is why I was so shocked to see her fry. The only way I know it is hers is she had been under the weather for a while so I had her in a QT by herself (I think she got pretty beat up by one of my males before I knew how to tell the sex of them). So if yours is orange and you don't see the spot don't rule out pregnancy. :) Hope to see a pic of her, and good luck!

Well look under her belly...is there a dark spot? That's where babies come from! Lol

Back
Top Bottom