Unknown pleco species??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tazd123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was gifted a small pleco around 3 years ago, it was 2 inches at the time and I thought it was a common pleco but has not grown more than half an inch? It looks like a common pleco but not sure if it's some kind of dwarf species? Anyway, it bred with my albino bristlenose pleco and want to know what kind of hybrid the offspring is as I'm going to regime it now that it's bigger.
Thanks

If it bred with a bristle nose it's probably a bristle nose. Without the pics...

Hi,
I have since rehomed the parents as they were chasing the baby so I assumed they were becoming overcrowded as my tank is only around 30x30x30 cm.
I kept the baby as I knew it would be fine in the tank for a while as it was only a centimetre long and I wanted to see what it would look like when older.
I've attached pics of the parents,
Brown is mother and albino bristlenose is father

Attachments

• Plecostomus-Complete-Guide-Species-Care-Tank-Requirements-Banner.jpg
    Plecostomus-Complete-Guide-Species-Care-Tank-Requirements-Banner.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Albino-Bushynose-Pleco.jpg
    Albino-Bushynose-Pleco.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 304
If it was a stunted common, would it still have been able to breed with a bristlenose?

The picture you posted of common was pulled off google images. Is that your fish?Screenshot_20200716-204902_Google.jpg

Hi, like I said, I have rehomed the parents. But that's exactly what they looked like :)

Frequently a female on the younger side will not have the Bristles, older they get and males have more bristles, and being the usual grey color would look similar to the common. I am not aware of them crossing.

30cm equates to appx. just over 11 inches cube tank.

It is good news that the parents were rehomed. This little guy should move to a new bigger tank when he gets over appx. 4cm. This would also mean 2-3 water changes per week as it gets larger also depending upon other tank stock.

They poop a lot and can foul a tank. As well as a larger tank would be appropriate for this type of fish as they rove around and need room to grow and eat film from glass, wood and rocks all the time.

Welcome to the community! :)

Hi, Yes I am going to rehome it now that's it's bigger, the baby does have some bristles on the nose but not big so wasn't sure if it was a hybrid. Just wanted to find out before rehoming it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Several I have had didn't get bristles of any substance, females mainly, after about 2 years the males really get some pronounced ones.

Not ever had the really huge bristle faces seen on any of them in my tanks, like so often in the online images.

What are your other livestock in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom