Warning signs of pregnant guppies and platys?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I want to my LFS and bought one male and one female guppy. I was planning on them breeding and I'm just so eager for it to happen already! I also have 1 male and 2 female orange platys.

Is there any warning sign that you can tell if their prego before their stomach starts getting bigger ?

So I want to my LFS and bought one male and one female guppy. I was planning on them breeding and I'm just so eager for it to happen already! I also have 1 male and 2 female orange platys.

Is there any warning sign that you can tell if their prego before their stomach starts getting bigger ?
There is one big warning sign....If she's a female guppy, then she's pregnant. They're pregnant for most of they're lifes!!!. They are the rabbits of the fish world...
I would up your male/female ratio to 3f to every 1male, otherwise he'll harass her the whole time...Ian

Yeah, that's what I heard on some other threads I've seen. And that's what I had to do with my platys, I had to get two females so that my one male would leave the other one alone somewhat. I plan on getting another female guppy once the one I already have spawns.

Do you know how many days it takes for a female to give birth? Once she's prego?

Yeah, that's what I heard on some other threads I've seen. And that's what I had to do with my platys, I had to get two females so that my one male would leave the other one alone somewhat. I plan on getting another female guppy once the one I already have spawns.

Do you know how many days it takes for a female to give birth? Once she's prego?

I wouldn't wait to add more females. A male guppy can literally harass a single female to death. The main reason for the 3 to 1 ratio is spread the males attention over the three. I even up'd the ratio to 4 to 1 in our guppy factory. I honestly think the 3/1 is a bare minimum.

I won't be able to make it to the lfs until atleast Thursday and at latest Sunday so ill make sure to get 2 more females then. If I get two more females though, wouldn't he just get all 3 pregnant? I don't have a lot of space for more stock in my tank as it. I have 24 fry in my nursery that ill have to do something with since they won't fit in my 26 gal.

I'm thinking of starting up a 26-30 gal planted tank so I can have more stock.

Back
Top Bottom