Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Water Change for Platy Fry

Hello! I am a new member to this website!

I have a 10-gallon tank with one female platy and also a breeding net with her 15 babies (about 2 days old) approximately. Both the mother and the babies are doing well so far.

However, since I had the experience of changing the water in a tank with newborns (about 4 days old) and all my fries were dead, I don't know what the mistake was and how should I take care of the babies this time. Should I wait until they grow up a bit bigger? If not, what should I make sure of the water change so they won't die?

Thank you so much!

New update:
20 fries now! There are a ton hiding under the gravels and they are such a good hider!

Old 11-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well please explain how exactly you did your water change please. This may shed some light.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I changed about one gallon of water per week usually. The water I added always have sat for a week (because I've seen websites saying that it helps) and conditioned.

I think the reason why my fries were dead last time was that the temperature of my added water is not right.

I am not sure if it is okay if I change the water with warmer tap water.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

City water I presume. Do you know if your water company uses Chlorine or Chloramine? Letting water sit for days with Chlorine is ok, not really with Chloramine though. May or may not be an issue. Love a good mystery...
Old 11-14-2020, 08:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The company says it is chlorinated. So the problem is with the temperature of the water then?
Old 11-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushyslushy View Post
The company says it is chlorinated.
OK, you did not say that you use any dechlorinator, so I assumed you letting the water sit was your way of letting the chlorine dissipate over days. I have never done that so I'm not sure how long you have to wait. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

Anywho, dechlorinator is cheap and a small bottle will last years and years. Just a thought anyway.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ohhhh okay! I do add water conditioner and it says that it removes chlorine so I didn't really think of it. Thank you so much and I will try to get one as soon as possible!
Old 11-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushyslushy View Post
Ohhhh okay! I do add water conditioner and it says that it removes chlorine so I didn't really think of it. Thank you so much and I will try to get one as soon as possible!
Then you can add your dechlorinator to your water immedialty with no waiting.

Tags
ate, change, fry, platy, platy fry, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com