Well, I sure wasn't expecting this either, Part II.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Now...I've got GBR eggs. Totally a surprise. I just got these fish on Saturday afternoon. I noticed Sunday that they have ich (this is the first time I've actually had to treat ich on my own fish, I'm kinda nervous). I've been slowly raising the temperature since yesterday. I noticed before leaving for an appointment today that they were all over the back corner of my tank, moving sand around. I had the strange thought that this is what my convicts did right before they spawned for the first time. I came home this evening, and looked...and sure enough there is a little pile of eggs. New fish, completely stressed out, with ich nonetheless, and they still laid. They all look fertilized to me.

:multi:

Attachments

• img_1084__small__698.jpg
    img_1084__small__698.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 18
  • img_1098__medium__657.jpg
    img_1098__medium__657.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 25
  • img_1100__medium__178.jpg
    img_1100__medium__178.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 19
Congrats! See I keep saying there is something about spring and fish spawning.

Good luck with the ich treatment, I am sure everything will be fine once the temp is up.

Wow, that's great! At least rams seem to like higher temps anyway, bumping up to 87 shouldn't stress them much. Here's hoping you get babies.

Awesome........hope the high temp don't harm the eggs though.
Hey.......ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Luck to ya.

Thanks guys! Looking this morning, in my tank where the temp climbed to 91F!!! The fish seem perfect and I can already tell a reduction in the parasite. The eggs however, seems to have been halfed in number. I can only see a small amount now. I don't know if mom or dad has moved some or not. Mom is constantly picking at them to sorta "clean" the area...maybe she picked some up.

I'll keep an eye on them! I'm just amazed they breeded at all!

Its so cool that your fish are breeding so readily - apparently you are doing alot of things correctly ! I hope the eggs from both species make it - I'd love to see pics of the babies

I thought my female and male were cleaning them myself, but because of being threatened by all the other fish, they were eating them. Now they are all gone. :(

Thanks joannde :) the angelfish eggs are already gone, but maybe the gbr's will leave a few stick around.

Lonewolfblue, that's sad. :( I've been in the tank already this morning moving stuff around, stressing them out. I'm not sure they'll leave the rest of the eggs alone. They've already scattered them out atound the "sand pit" and now moved them back into a pile. Who knows what'll happen!
I won't be too heartbroken if they don't make it.

Update: the eggs are gone this morning. :(

Oh well. Next time maybe. :)

Thebluyak, I had the same problem. My not so good usually lfs finally got gbr's. I told myself I'd stop buying livestock from them but haven't been able to find these guys anywhere. Now, they have ich. You take your chances I guess. :) hope you find some soon!

Back
Top Bottom