What can you breed in a 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't do betta's in a 5 gallon.

Why not? I spawned bettas in a 5 gallon. It was heavily planted of course and I monitered the entire process. But it wasnt easy. I conditioned them with live food and spent a lot of time on the introductions... it was a lot of work... but just because pops got hungry does not mean it wasn't successful....

I wouldn't do betta's in a 5 gallon.
Why not? I've successfully bred 100s of Bettas in shoeboxes and sweater trays that yielded thousands of fish over the years. You can see some of my breeding tanks in my albums. The depth of the water is more important than the volume of water when it comes to breeding Bettas. ;)

As for the OP, we used to breed some of the smaller tetras in 5 gal tanks as well. You use the tank just for spawning the fish and getting the fry to free swimming stage. This is not a tank for long term keeping of these fish.

Hope this helps (y)

You can both keep and breed quite a lot of shrimp, like cherries, in a 5G too, with little equipment beyond a sponge filter and some mosses. They have very low bioloads, prefer cooler water. Feeding is simple, and need be done only a few days a week.

Back
Top Bottom