what do you to not suck fry into filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njweiss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I had a stocking wrapped around my filter intake but it slowly would stop getting any water so i unwrapped it and loosened it then my babies started getting stck to it and a few died :( can anyone give me some tips? this is the first time ive had fry

thanks!!

njweiss said:
Hi! I had a stocking wrapped around my filter intake but it slowly would stop getting any water so i unwrapped it and loosened it then my babies started getting stck to it and a few died :( can anyone give me some tips? this is the first time ive had fry

thanks!!

I think no matter what you put over the filter intake it will get clogged eventually and need cleaning. You could get a breeder box/fry box and keep them in that. For future fry you could get a sponge filter and seed it in your tank so when the fry are born (or hatch? Im assuming you have livebearers) you can move them and the sponge filter over to another heated tank.

+1 to Jeta. They also make an intake replacement that is a fully enclosed sponge filter with an elbow that you can replace the strainer on your current intake with.

i cant move them to a box
316554_10150429201461488_594706487_10807148_1745197262_n.jpg

lol they are alone in a 30gal with mama jack dempsey, I guess i just rewrap the stocking again and clean it alot :/

I use a sponge filter cover that is an actual sponge made to cover the intake tube.... works well, makes it impossible to get anything stuck and every few days i turn off the filter, slide it off, rinse it out and put it back on... works well. When fry are bigger (3-4 wks approx)I take it off and save it for the next batches.

Mumma.of.two said:
I think no matter what you put over the filter intake it will get clogged eventually and need cleaning. You could get a breeder box/fry box and keep them in that. For future fry you could get a sponge filter and seed it in your tank so when the fry are born (or hatch? Im assuming you have livebearers) you can move them and the sponge filter over to another heated tank.

Ur right that happened to me so I took off the net

I rewrapped the stocking and they are doing good, i just hae to clean it off like twice a day

Back
Top Bottom