What is the best way to keep fry's alive in your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pregnant Molly Dalmatian fish and was wondering what's the best way to keep the fry alive, I have a plastic plant in there and also a couple of ornaments in there so some where for them to hide, I do have in the tank 2 angle fish 2 guppys 2 platy's and a few tetras, will they be ok in with them fish? And what's the best thing to do with them?

Plus should I get a beading box or a net? Not to sure what's the best thing to do, this is the 1st time I have had a pregnant fish & want to save the fry from being eaten, can anyone help me with this?

I've had dalmatian mollies give birth before and I had her give birth 2 times in the last 2 months naturally and later I just caught her babies and kept them in a breeder box for 3 or 4 weeks. Also if you put the mom itself in the box she will get too stressed out and abort, I've had one do this to me before. Just have lots of plants like java fern and plants like that and you will end up with a reasonable amount of fry

khoifish89 said:
i would get a breeder box where the is "v" shape separating the top and bottom of the box. you can put two pregnant fish in it. once they give birth the fry should drop down to the bottom of the box. like this one.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14698

Thanks, the thing with the box is will it stress her out? I am not to sure on when to her in it so she isn't in for to long

Fishfreak1 said:
I've had dalmatian mollies give birth before and I had her give birth 2 times in the last 2 months naturally and later I just caught her babies and kept them in a breeder box for 3 or 4 weeks. Also if you put the mom itself in the box she will get too stressed out and abort, I've had one do this to me before. Just have lots of plants like java fern and plants like that and you will end up with a reasonable amount of fry

Thanks for that, I have read about them getting stressed out in them, but some people have said they work fine and the fish have been ok, I think I may try this and see how I get on, just for to catch the little things now haha

Thanks for that, I have read about them getting stressed out in them, but some people have said they work fine and the fish have been ok, I think I may try this and see how I get on, just for to catch the little things now haha

i am one of those people who leave the pregnant guppies in the breeding box and never any stress on the female.

khoifish89 said:
i am one of those people who leave the pregnant guppies in the breeding box and never any stress on the female.

I have just got a box so will see how it goes hopefully she will be ok

Stu just time her for 4-5 weeks after the birth and between the 4 and 5 week be ready to see fry. Last time my mollie gave birth, all her children just stay one inch from the top of the waterline unless they feel threatened by other fish. So last time I just scooped 17 of them and put them in the breeder

If she is calm in the breeder and about 2 weeks from her birth then let her stay in there but if she's like mine, then she will try everything she can to get out including slamming herself against the wall of the breeder

Also is it a breeder net or plastic breeder? Net breeders break easier especially if you have hungry fish in their that want a snack

1 1/2 weeks before she gives birth feed your fish a lot so they won't want to eat your fry. How much do u feed them now?

Fishfreak1 said:
Also is it a breeder net or plastic breeder? Net breeders break easier especially if you have hungry fish in their that want a snack

It's a plastic one that floats in the water

Fishfreak1 said:
1 1/2 weeks before she gives birth feed your fish a lot so they won't want to eat your fry. How much do u feed them now?

I tend to feed them twice a day

I'd say get some java moss it's great for a fry hideout. My platy had babies about 2 weeks ago now and I saw about 10 at a time I'm assuming there were more. I didn't think any made it them last week I saw two little bubs come out of the moss and they are cautious still but venture out and about the tank I'm surprised they survived the dwarf gouramis relentless hunting. Maybe you could dig a cup or something in the gravel or something similar just so there is only a tiny cave for the bubs to hide in the bigger ones can't get too. Then place some moss around it just an idea :)

7 days before she gives birth give them food 3 Times a day once morning once in the afternoon and once before you go to bed it will keep them stuffed and they won't want to eat your fry. Like I have a swordtail sharks and mollies but non ate the fry since I fed the fish 3 times a day

7 days before she gives birth give them food 3 Times a day once morning once in the afternoon and once before you go to bed it will keep them stuffed and they won't want to eat your fry. Like I have a swordtail sharks and mollies but non ate the fry since I fed the fish 3 times a day

thanks I wil give that ago and hopefully it will they will be all fine

I'd say get some java moss it's great for a fry hideout. My platy had babies about 2 weeks ago now and I saw about 10 at a time I'm assuming there were more. I didn't think any made it them last week I saw two little bubs come out of the moss and they are cautious still but venture out and about the tank I'm surprised they survived the dwarf gouramis relentless hunting. Maybe you could dig a cup or something in the gravel or something similar just so there is only a tiny cave for the bubs to hide in the bigger ones can't get too. Then place some moss around it just an idea :)

I havent got any live plants in there at the moment, I have a plastic one and a couple of ornaments, one is a car where they can hide in but the other fish can get in there, I think I might just give the breading box a go and have somewhere for whe I let them out for them to hide

Back
Top Bottom