What kind of molly is this and why can't I find more of them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my favorite molly - I've had her since Nov. I thought it was a male at first because of the aggressiveness, but learned about the anatomy of fish and she is female indeed.

It seems that she will not mate with the other males. Every time they try, she fights them all the time. Whereas, the other females have bred multiple times since Nov. Unless she has and the fry are still babies to tell, or just haven't survived.

I'm also baffled at the fact that I cannot find any more of these. I've been looking since Nov. I give them a hardy diet so they are all healthy and strong it seems. The other 2 females are giving birth every 2 weeks. Not this one, and I'm a little upset about that.

Just want to add, she is more quarter size than oval.

Attachments

• molly.jpg
    molly.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 26
Oh, and those black strips just appeared a month ago. She didn't have them when I bought her. I have been reading this is a sign of aging perhaps?

Hi HopeGR,

Looks like a balloon molly to me. They're bred for those short spine characteristics. I think (I've not had them myself for a LONG time) that they're prone to difficulty with health and breeding due to their much shortened internal organ structures. I hope this helps you find some more information on them. My local pet store always has these kinds when all I want is the regular sort! :)

It could be she has a hard time breeding due to her shorter stature, or she just likes be head of the tank/school.

Actually, yes, she is a balloon molly but apparently a specific kind. I cannot find anymore of these since I bought her in early November. Luckily, she is going strong. I try to feed my mollys a variety of foods and it's working. But I haven't been able to find any more that are exactly like this one. I saw a few small fry the other day her color but I don't know if they'll survive - here's hoping.

She is a Dalmatian balloon molie. They have black spots and can sometimes have a mixture of yellow\orange spots with the black ones. You can order some online! I personally have never had balloon mollies so cannot recommend a retailer. I know there out there just can't say which ones best.. I have silver and black mollies LOL.

Back
Top Bottom