What should a fry tank be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
So on Thursday my swordtail momma gave birth, after I separated the mom and fry I was going to keep the fry in the breeder box for a bit but my Angels kept charging the plastic trying their best to suck up the bite sized newborns. So I initially put them in a small hospital/spare tank (haven't had any health issues with my fish ever so it technically isn't a hospital tank yet) then I bought a $1/G tank from petco(10g) and set up what I thought might be good for them, but I really have no idea. What do you guys think of my set up and what would you guys normally have for raising swordtail fry? The 10g will be a fry/grow out tank for this batch, I don't exactly Plan to keep the fry the next time.

Attachments

• image-1956736571.jpg
    image-1956736571.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-63020567.jpg
    image-63020567.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1874407285.jpg
    image-1874407285.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 105
So on Thursday my swordtail momma gave birth, after I separated the mom and fry I was going to keep the fry in the breeder box for a bit but my Angels kept charging the plastic trying their best to suck up the bite sized newborns. So I initially put them in a small hospital/spare tank (haven't had any health issues with my fish ever so it technically isn't a hospital tank yet) then I bought a $1/G tank from petco(10g) and set up what I thought might be good for them, but I really have no idea. What do you guys think of my set up and what would you guys normally have for raising swordtail fry? The 10g will be a fry/grow out tank for this batch, I don't exactly Plan to keep the fry the next time.

To answer your thread's headline question, A fry tank should be a tank where the fry can feel secure, get enough food and be amongst fish that are not big enough to eat them. If all your other fish are big enough to eat them, it means no other fish in the tank for now (Mom and Dad included.)
As for your tank pics, my only suggestion might be to add some more fine leaved plant bunches for the babies to hide in. In nature, they would be born in thick plants for their protection and don't stray too far from them until they are big enough to not get eaten. (That's nature's plan at least ;)) If your babies are swimming around and not acting scared, you may be able to get along with what you have. Other than that, just make sure you have good clean water and plenty of food to get them growing.

Good luck with them (y)

Thank you for responding! It's just the fry in the ten gallon. I bought a narrow leaf java fern today to help them out, half of them stay in the fake baby tears on one side and the other half stay in the argentine swords on the other side. I'll put the fern in tomorrow morning. I've been putting micro pellets in about 3 times a day and crushed flakes into powder for them once today, I never see them eat though so that sort of worries me but I also know they probably think I'm one gigantic fish waiting to munch on them. Still have all of them so far! I'll keep updating the thread, not that anyone has any huge interest but because I'm super pumped out it haha.

Anyone know if ghost shrimp will eat the fry?

They will try to eat them, yes!!!!!
Anything that can fit into their mouths. Fry, included.
I've got a 5g fry tank ( 6 week old platy fry) and a ramshorn snail. The snail looooooves the fry tank bc they don't eat all of the food, so he cleans up after them.
Good luck with your babies!!!!

Glad I didn't try the shrimp then!
I don't know about the snails, I don't want to have a tank full of them and it sounds like they reproduce like crazy, although they would be a great snack for my clown loach!

I still feel like I should be doing more for the fry though, any other suggestions?

What do you mean, you feel like you should be doing more?

That's my fry tank. Simple. They have rocks to hide in- easy to clean for me ( airline tubing was what I used so they didn't get sucked up, now I'm just using a regular vacuum. They know to stay away now).
I feed 3-4 times a day. WC 2x a week. It's just fun watching them grow :)

What do you feel like you're not doing?

Attachments

• image-3940115936.jpg
    image-3940115936.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 100
If I knew what I wasn't doing of be doing it haha! I've really just begun to learn about raising fry, as you know this is my first, I guess I'm just unsure of everything. I'll start doing water changes in two days, thanks for the tip about airline hose.

Back to the plants, can you use ferts while fry are in the tank? Are fry really any more sensitive to that kind of stuff than the adults? I'm also brand new to live plants, I thought since I was getting the ten gallon for fry I would go ahead and try my hand at plants too, that way there's always something in the tank. Is there anything you SHOULDN'T use with fry in the tank?

JerseyGirl1385 said:
They will try to eat them, yes!!!!!
Anything that can fit into their mouths. Fry, included.
I've got a 5g fry tank ( 6 week old platy fry) and a ramshorn snail. The snail looooooves the fry tank bc they don't eat all of the food, so he cleans up after them.
Good luck with your babies!!!!

I don't think ghost shrimp are carnivorous. I'm pretty sure they would be fine.

Armoredspider said:
Ghost shrimp will always try to eat the fry. Rcs are fine though.

Really? I've kept them in a tank before with livebearers and no problems.

Back
Top Bottom