What should i do??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domsmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put my mommy platy in the breeder box this morning because I really felt like she was coming very close to delivering, I'd rather try to save the babies from being eaten by the other fish in the main tank but so far no progress! I don't want her scared/stressed! Should I just keep her in there for now? Or move her back into the main tank? I don't know which would be less stressful?!

if she goes back in the main tank, you lose some/most of the babies as the other fish will tail her (literally!).
she will be fine in the breeder, most birth no problems in a box. until she's finished, she's good in there and you remove her as soon as they are all out so that she doesnt eat the babies.
you could put a plastic plant in to calm her + give the babies protection.
how do you know she is close to birth? they will have a square belly, be acting very uncomfortable hanging around the surface or on the substrate and stop eating for a while when they are super close.

congrats!! :D x

I did exactly that and this morning woke up to find her birthing babies already! We have approx 20 so far... Waiting to figure out if she's done do we can move her back! :)
Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom