What temp for corys to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phatpaul

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, I would like my corys to breed and I know that you need to drop the temperature of the water to stimulate them into breeding. What I want to know exactly is how you do it and how much to drop the temperature by. Do i just add a bucket of cold water or do I just turn the heater down and let it cool down over a day or 2. Thanks

Different corys have different temp requirements to begin with and many come from relatively cool waters. In general terms, if the fish are in good condition and ready to spawn, a water change with cooler water will often incite breeding. Another factor that often helps is if this is done when a storm front moves in.a storm is coming.
Some corys will just breed when they feel like it without any other incentive. As well, if the fish aren't in breeding condition, (females full of ripe eggs) the water change won't help. So, I would begin with heavy feedings to get the fish conditioned. As far as temp change, if I remember correctly a temp of 5 to 10F lower should be sufficient. I believe the large amount of clean water you add is as much of a factor as the lower temp.

Very useful thanks. I think my corys are sterbi(I think that's how you spell it). So just basically keep doing regular water changes and if I see the female is fatter than normal when I'm about to do a water change just make the water a little cooler than normal and see if that works

This is my female with 2 males chasing her she looks quite fat at the mo, do you think it's worth trying to drop the tempreture soon

Attachments

• image-1931844992.jpg
    image-1931844992.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 130
I have a lonely cory in my tank, and I hate to sound weird, but would you give/sell me some corys to go with mine?

No sorry corys like to live in shoals that's why iv got 4 sterbi corys and I'm going out sometime this week to buy a few more albinos

If they breed successfully then I would be willing to sell you some,

Lol dropped the temperature last night and now we have cory EGGS scatterd around the tank

Attachments

• image-486101100.jpg
    image-486101100.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image-2582248838.jpg
    image-2582248838.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 94
Lol I hope so too it will be brill to have litte corys swimming around. Iv only got corys in the tank at the mo so at least nothing will eat them. : )

Actually, the parents might eat them.

I have lots of cory eggs in my tank. Only 1 has hatched so far and he's about 3 weeks old now. Cute little bugger.....

Good luck!

Lol I didnt think the parents would, but hopefully I might get a little one survive as they have spread them all around my 150l tank and there's plenty of hiding places

Never mind about the Cory babies, yours and mine are from different sub-species.

well, I keep my tank at 76* and my Peppered Cory's have been breeding like crazy...even though I've only had a handful of survivors due to the other guys in there (never meant to breed them, but they did anyway). They are currently in a "community" tank (mixed Amazon Biotope), and the bigger fish tend to get to the eggs/fry before I can :(

I have 4 pepper corys, 4 ghost shrimp, and 2 assasin snails. I keep my tank at 78. Recently we had a storm and left the window open and my tank cooled down to 70. Will the other species in the tank kill the fry? I have never seen these cat fish mate at all.

I have 4 pepper corys, 4 ghost shrimp, and 2 assasin snails. I keep my tank at 78. Recently we had a storm and left the window open and my tank cooled down to 70. Will the other species in the tank kill the fry? I have never seen these cat fish mate at all.

It's actually often the parents you ave to worry about with cory's, unfortunately...

The assassin snails will consume the eggs, if they're easily reachable.

Back
Top Bottom