what to do with kribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannyweir

Aquarium Advice Regular
My krib has layd its eggs in my community tank but not sure if I should move them as I think my opaline gourami might eat them I have set up another tank but not sure if it would be cycled enough yet I have put some. Water from my other tank n it and some fake plants as waz reading that puting things from a already cycled tank was good for new tank set up but a dont want to kill ma fish if its not cycled please help if you can thanks

Umm, If I am reading this right. you have another tank that is not cycled and you want to put the krib eggs in there? How big is the main tank compared to the spare tank? What kind of filter on both tanks? Have you tried a breeder net?

My other tank is now cycled but the eggs have dissapeard so am thinkn the kribs have eat them as its there first fry my fish tank is L 3ft 3and a half b is 2feet w 1 ft 4.and there is a rena xp filter n there not sure about gallons and my other tank is 2 ft and b 1ft 3 and w 1ft 1 not sure the kind of filter thow

Once the kribs have got the hang of breeding, they'll be fine guarding the eggs/fry, just as long as there's plenty of hiding spots/planted areas. It's the other fish you'll have to worry about as they get pretty aggressive.

Thanks do you think it would be a good I dear to have 2 females and 2 males in one tank or just keep them in sepreate tanks to breed

Are you wanting to breed them, or just happy if it happens. I wouldn't keep 2 pairs of kribs in a 3ft tank, they will get too territorial.
If you plan on breeding seriously, then you need a decent size tank for the krib pair, a fry tank and a growing on setup, successful spawns could net you 50+ fish at a time, and if you seperate them from the parents, they will breed every few weeks.

I wouldnt mind just one fry just now to see what happens but got limit money to spear to have more tanks I have a 2ft tank aswel would that be big enough for just now to breed some in and do you think I should keep them in a tank by them selfs or would it be ok to keep other fish in there

Just noticed what you said in last thread about haven the kribs in diffrent tanks sorry lol

If you have a pair, leave them in the community and let nature take its course. Watching them do the parenting thing is really cool, though you're better saving the fry into another tank if you want more to survive.

Ok perfect thats what all do.do you no how old the fry has to be before you move them away from parents thanks for your help

You can move the eggs if you like. I feed crushed flake once they are at the wriggler stage, and keep doing decent water changes to keep the tank clean. Otherwise leave them in until the parents start chasing them.

Back
Top Bottom