What to do with Molly babies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In July our Molly gave birth for the first time, we managed to get 12 of the babies into a breeding net before the other fish ate them.

All survived and we released them into the main tank last week, where they are doing fine.

The Molly has now just given birth again, this time we've got approx 25 in the breeding net which is great but I'm worried we're going to overrun with Molly's before too long.

I'm already over run with mollies lol I feel your pain... I have 4 month olds 13 males and 15 females. I'm still trying to get rid of them X.x

If your molly gives birth again, just let the other fish eat them...lol

Just try giving them to lfs like Toirtis said (if you have any decent ones in your area) or try advertising them around town or something or on the internet...

Something for the future: Either get rid of the males or females. Only keep 1 sex of mollies. They reproduce like CRAZY.

Hell yeah they do, I swear they're worse than guppies (not that I've had guppies...)! The only problem is you can't sex them until they're AT sexual maturity *sinks into water and blows bubbles of frustration*

how do you know if the female is carrying? i have a pair and the male is always trying to breed, the female looks about the same no difference noticed, they are black in color and are ballon molly's? ive also seen them called pot belly molly's// the female does have a white spot in her anus region though.. does that mean she getting ready to pop some fry out?? im confused..

First their belly will get slightly bigger, then it will "Square off" so it looks like it's more squared shape than round, then when the mother's getting closer they'll get even FATTER and give a more rounded appearance and if you can see the "eye spot" then she's getting even closer. I'm awaiting my females litters any day now... no i'm not keeping any lol.

I heard Puriti was going for a record on most baby mollies in one tank...

Other than that, baby fishy cuteness might be enough to convince the significant other that you need another fish tank. :D

Eventually though you'll have converted the backyard pool into a 20k gallon molly tank, and you'll probably want to find a fish store locally that will take them before then. Many will give you credit, not much for mollys. But even if you only get a penny a piece, at the rate they reproduce, you could own the store in a year...

Back
Top Bottom