What to feed the little guys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apocalypse_Gold

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What fry foods have you had success with for tiny fry? A little back story:
Have you ever tried to do a pwc and gravel vac at 10 pm and ended up being up until 1 am? :roll: One of my platies had just had babies and so after the vac I checked the bucket for babies. I didn't see anything swimming around (other than these little bugs that have always been under my ugf) and I was ready to dump it when I saw a tiny little guy swimming around. Much to small for any of my livebearers, and my danios were chasing each other everywhere a few days before so they are the likely lucky parents. They were much smaller than the holes in my breeder tank so we rigged up one of the tanks with nylon stockings and then spent 2 hours with a turkey baster a bowl and a flashlight catching about 10 of the little guys. I bought a net breeder yesterday, but the only fry food they had was the Wardley's liquid stuff that just falls right out of the netting.
So back to the question: What foods (and feeding methods) have you had success with for tiny fry?

I've fed my emperor tetra fry on Hikari's First Bites , which is a finely powdered food that floats then slowly sinks . I tried the Wardleys liquid food , but it just scared the fry away .

I use the Hikari First Bites for newly hatched fry. As they get a bit larger, I like to feed ground up Spectrum pellets and Omega One flakes.

I second Dan's idea. Also, since they need a lot of protein, I recommend crushing up bloodworms. They love it

I raised my swordtail fry on frozen brine shrimp. I got the shrimp at my LFS. I took a little cup, put some tank water in it, allowed a slice of the frozen brine shrimp cube to thaw in the water, then poured the water into the tank. The fry loved it (and so did the parents when I gave them some)! :)

Paul

I've raised danio fry before and I found the wardley's food to be ok but messy. I had better luck with Hikari frozen baby brineshrimp and hikari first bites as they got older.

Crush up Hikari Fancy Guppy pellets with your nail and spread it along the surface of the water. It will do nicely. I've never used First Bites for my guppy fry, so I can't say much about it.

I've been feeding my guppy fry Hikari First Bites. It stays afloat nicely which gives my fry plenty of time to gobble it up. Once they became accustomed, they now know when it's feeding time and stay near the water surface most of the time. Hungry little buggers... :)

I actually stole/borrowed some First Bites from my brother Hash_baz the day after I posted. Actually we traded the first bites for some anti parasite food. The danio fry loved it. They are about 1/2 inch long now and I have a new batch that is about a week old. Again, plled them out of the bucket after a gravel vac.

Do you want to know something else that seems to work? I tried the egg yolk thing and was impressed. I took a little hard boiled egg yolk, put it in a small container of water and shook the snot out of it. It left lots of TINY suspended particles. I now add a little "yolk water" to the nursery tank every day, and keep the container in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom