What's your most exciting breeding success?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breezer40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Firstly I am fairly new to fishes so I haven't got allot of experience with breeding however here goes:

I have managed to breed lots of Platys..well actually it they kinda breed themselves but its a start. My latest conquest is harlequins..they started to spawn when all the platys were giving birth .. a right frenzy took place :silly: I collected the leaves that had eggs on and but them in a breeding trap..two hatched..one survived and he is just so cute :wink:

Heh, I also am just starting. I currently have 11 angelfish fry about the size of a thumbnail (not including fins) zipping around my tank *grin*

Back when I had a mated pair of angels I went totally bonkers the first time I saw they had laid a bunch of eggs on the filter tube. I started planning out brine shrimp hatcheries, grow out tanks, etc., thinking about how much credit I was gonna get from the pet store..

Then they ate them.

Then they laid more.

And ate those too.

Eggs. Raw cuisine.

Etc., etc.

My parents like raising baby guppies. :)

I know that this sounds strange... But I once had Julidochromus Transcriptus and Brichardi cross-breed. I was only able to raise five of the offspring to adulthood. Their fry were quite striking...similar in shape to Brichardi with extended fin tips and a faint black and white checkerboard pattern on their bodies.

I think I may have a pregnant Bumblebee shrimp, and that's exciting to me, as nobody seems to have these guys. They only lay a very few eggs... I HOPE they hatch! Chances are not with the setup I have now, but I'll keep an eye on this female.

Pond snails. Oooh wee. that was exciting.

Actually they are cute little suckers... And they're not in my tank, so they remain cute.

I had a pair of comets breed once. Wasn't really a success as their pondmates had a great snack before I got there.

Have bred a pretty wide variety of stuff, but I think the most exciting was the first time the huge pair of Parachromis dovii (Wolf Cichlids) spawned. Not really a difficult fish to breed, but it was just the number of fry once they hatched out, was amazing, my guess was about 2500 fry their first clutch

By proxy, my son's chocolate gourami. Though the power out got one adult and most the fry there is still a small handful hiding in the floating plants.

And my mystery fry, the royal knives that got me the mondo store credits. Cost me my gourami fry to raise the sneaky lil things. They are so ugly. Nothing like my Black Ghost.

Something in my big tank had babies recently; but I have no real hiding places..the BKG made short work of them overnight before I could catch some for ID. Only things in pairs are cories, clowns and tetras. my clowns are not adults at all. Leaves tetras and cories. I hate that tank the way it looks with the infusoria cloud, but parameters are so perfect I hate to monkey with it. I only needd to change out for nitrAtes. The fish are so bright and active.

My most exciting was recent serpae tetra fry. They are almost an inch long now, a month after I discovered them, in a community tank with plenty of egg and fry predators!

The other exciting one was white cloud mountain minnows, which I again had no idea I had bred. I had taken the school out of quarrantine and the tank was sitting there, no filter, no light, and I was going to use the water for my houseplants but kept putting it off. One day I walked by the tank and tiny dark shapes were zooming around. Minnow fry! Now I have several generations in my 55. I just love seeing fry, no matter how often it might happen. I also have black molly fry and even though they are pretty predictable producers, it is still neat to see the wee ones appear.

Hey madasafish! The pregnant bumblebees are the ones I was supposed to get ;P I expect to see em next week LOL

I just ordered some cherry shrimp - Alli, aren't they the ones that supposedly breed in the tank? I'm putting them in with my Endler's, so I hope to grow out a batch.

I've bred Mollies and Black Mysteries.

My two Rosy Barbs appear to be acting strangely however, I think it may be mating behavior.

Back
Top Bottom