When Do Guppies Mature???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering so I know when i can sell or give them away and put them with adult fish in my regular tank?

I have a few new guppy frys in my tank as well. I was just going to release them from the breeder net when they get big enough not to be eaten by my other adult fish. I guess how long would just depend on what other type of fish you have in the tank. I wont have too long to wait since the largest fish I have to worry about is a molly but it may be different for yours.

As far as selling I have no idea since I'm new to this as well. In what I've read I got a little confused cause they were saying anything from 2 to 6 months for maturity. That seems like a big gap to me.

It all depends on temperature, water quality, food quality. There are many factors involved. If they are in a growout tank, fed a quality food, with frequent water changes they will grow quickly.

2 months with everything perfect, I find more like 3 months to have good colors and look more mature, after 6 they will usually get no bigger just fatter haha lol

I have a few new guppy frys in my tank as well. I was just going to release them from the breeder net when they get big enough not to be eaten by my other adult fish. I guess how long would just depend on what other type of fish you have in the tank. I wont have too long to wait since the largest fish I have to worry about is a molly but it may be different for yours.

As far as selling I have no idea since I'm new to this as well. In what I've read I got a little confused cause they were saying anything from 2 to 6 months for maturity. That seems like a big gap to me.
I was gonna do the same with the breeder net...and my biggest fish is a platy but ill be getting a pair of angelfish after my tank is cycled so i got like a 10 gallon to put the fry in and ya ive heard mixed opinions and such about their maturity age

It all depends on temperature, water quality, food quality. There are many factors involved. If they are in a growout tank, fed a quality food, with frequent water changes they will grow quickly.

What is a good temp? And what is a good food for them?

2 months with everything perfect, I find more like 3 months to have good colors and look more mature, after 6 they will usually get no bigger just fatter haha lol

Ok ill probably keep them for three months so i can decide which ones i might wanna keep

KeeperOfFish said:
Ok ill probably keep them for three months so i can decide which ones i might wanna keep

Yeh that's wut I do, a good temp is 25C for average but warmer will grow better I use 27C, live brine shrimp is one of the best food for guppy fry

Edit: just keep till you get the results you are trying to achieve, where ya trying to sell em at?

Yeh that's wut I do, a good temp is 25C for average but warmer will grow better I use 27C, live brine shrimp is one of the best food for guppy fry

Edit: just keep till you get the results you are trying to achieve, where ya trying to sell em at?

Ok(Ill have to figure that out in Fahrenheit lol)

i will post an ad on here but probably for people in my area not wanting to ship and or pet stores but not petsmart or petco but some trustworthy lfs

KeeperOfFish said:
Ok(Ill have to figure that out in Fahrenheit lol)

i will post an ad on here but probably for people in my area not wanting to ship and or pet stores but not petsmart or petco but some trustworthy lfs

27C is 80 I believe

I had no clue of the exacts either. I only knew that it was higher 70's lower 80's area. I was at a complete loss the other day when I was looking at new tank heaters on ebay and they had a bunch listed as liters instead of gallons. I was cursing the metric system then. XP

Zarlinia said:
I had no clue of the exacts either. I only knew that it was higher 70's lower 80's area. I was at a complete loss the other day when I was looking at new tank heaters on ebay and they had a bunch listed as liters instead of gallons. I was cursing the metric system then. XP

Lol I live in Canada and don't use liters for aquariums, use both temperatures though everything else can translate into both on command, metric is more for use when something needs to be precise and imperial is more for general who gives a dam rough guesses lol

Hahahahahaha ya customary is soooo much better:lol:

I'm fine with each measurement separately but when I've gotta convert them to each other I'm lost. I haven't really used metrics since I graduated HS so I'm a tidbit rusty but I get by.

Zarlinia said:
I'm fine with each measurement separately but when I've gotta convert them to each other I'm lost. I haven't really used metrics since I graduated HS so I'm a tidbit rusty but I get by.

Yeh that's where it gets tacky everything except temperature isn't too bad metric just uses sets of 10 easy to remember lol. Farenheight has never made sense to me who starts at 32 for freezing and goes up by non equal increments , a Frenchmen that's who 0.o lol

Back
Top Bottom