When to change fry tank water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmiA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! So my guppy dropped about 35+ fry this past Saturday. Unfortunately she dropped the fry a week early and gave birth in a tank with gravel substrate (didn't transfer her in time to a flat bottom tank). So I am wondering how soon can I change the tank water of the fry tank? I don't like the thought of uneven First Bites being stuck between the gravel...

Guppy Fry

Hello! So my guppy dropped about 35+ fry this past Saturday. Unfortunately she dropped the fry a week early and gave birth in a tank with gravel substrate (didn't transfer her in time to a flat bottom tank). So I am wondering how soon can I change the tank water of the fry tank? I don't like the thought of uneven First Bites being stuck between the gravel...

Hello K...

The tank bottom isn't important. You can change the water anytime. I'd change at least half of it. You don't need to vacuum anything, just remove and replace the water. Use a standard water change syphon and attach a piece of nylon from hosery to the end of the syphon with a rubberband. That way, you only remove the water and none of the fry.

The best food for your fry is frozen brine or mysis shrimp. If you can get frozen plankton in the pet store that's good too. The frozen food is much more nutritious than the dry or freeze dried. No additives!

If you haven't got some already, then get some floating stem plants like Anacharis into the main tank. Good protection for the fry.

Get the fry into the main tank in a week or so. With the good food, they'll grow quickly. Once they're all moved. Then start feeding all the fish a little more often. It's been my experience with "Livebearers", that well fed adults show little or no interest in the fry.

Just some thoughts that occurred to me.

B

Back
Top Bottom