When to introduce new fry to the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaela21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have two swordtail fry that are just over a month old, they were born on Sept. 2. One of the fry is about half an inch long and the other is just under half an inch long. We are currently feeding them fry food. The fry are in a breeding net as they continue to grow. The other fish in our tank are:

2 female swordtails
2 Bronze cory's
1 Tiger pleco
3 Celebrese rainbows
3 Praecox rainbows

When should we take the fry out of the breeding net and put them into the full tank? Should they still be on fry food?

:) The obvious answer is when the fry are too large to be eaten. I'm guessing that since you've kept them in the breeding net that space is an issue and you can't supply them their own tank. The thing is that fry need room to grow and develop. A breeding net will keep them safe from predation but won't allow them sufficient room.

As for "fry food", you're safe to take them off it now. :wink:

For your fry, just crunch up flake food with your finger nail, pre-soak it (I use an old fish food cap filled with water) then pour in the tank for them....the tiny crumbs will sink to where they are.
BrianNY is right, your fry will grow faster/healthier if they have more room....IF you have lots of plant cover you could probably try putting them in the community tank (do it with lights off but when there's enough natural light so you can keep on eye on them). If you have an extra tank, (ideally 5-10g) that would probably be best for another 3 weeks or so. Good luck and enjoy them! :)

Thanks for the responses. There is quite a bit of cover for them, and they are healthy and happy in the net as they get to visit with the other fish. There is still lots of swimming room in the net for them, and they are eating and chasing each other in a playful way. I guess that it is just a matter of how big should they be before I release them into the tank. I am sure they other fish will chase them, but will they try and eat them is the question. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom