When to put in the breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some swordtails that are getting close to giving birth. Last time, I didn't have a chance to move them and they had the babies. I don't wanna miss it this time, and I have a 10 gallon tank for them to have the babies in. I don't want to stress them out and have them die/prematurely have their fry, and I know a 10 gallon is pretty small for swordtails and I don't want them in too long, so how long before should I put them in the tank? It's hard to tell with these swordtails when exactly they'll have their fry, so I'm not certain on how long it'll even be. Would putting them in for a week be too long? Thank you.

I keep and breed some of my swords in 20talls.
They should be ok in a 10 for a week easy..Just keep up on water quality..
I never pull parents or fry.I just have moss and floating plants ,that and feeding enough to keep the parents from feeling hungry and in good breeding condition helps.
I really haven't lost any fry from the parents..

When I was young everyone had a 10G aquarium. The swords were fine. Not optimum according to current guidance but a week surely won't hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom