When to remove gourami bubble nest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gourami Mommy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_1987.jpg
Okay, so my male dwarf sunset gourami made a bubble nest with some plants about a week and a half ago. He mated with my two females and I removed the bubble nest the next day, relocating it to another aquarium.

Then, a few days later, he built another bubble nest. No idea if they mated again or not. I’ve been adding fish fry food and cleaning more often just in case.

Anyway, I still have this old bubble nest sitting on top of the water. It’s ugly and I want it gone. When can I remove it and how do I keep him from making another one? I have WAY more fry than I want right now.

The handsome suitor...
IMG_1768.jpg

Next, bubble nest when he began...IMG_1740.jpg

The bubble nest I have now...IMG_1986.jpg

First pic above is maybe 1/2 of the fry I have now, after feeding quite a bit to the community aquarium. Idk if any lived in the community aquarium or not.

ETA: There are definitely fry that survived the culling AND younger fry in the community tank.

Well, it appears that your tank setup is just what he wants for breeding and that's a good thing. (y) As for stopping him from making nests, that is not going to happen unless you create an environment that is not conducive for spawning ( which is not a good thing to do.) If you want no more fry,the best way (IMO) you will need to separate the male and females from each other. Other than that, you can let the fry become food for the other fish in the tank. Extra survivors can be taken to your local fish shop to trade for supplies or $$

Well, it appears that your tank setup is just what he wants for breeding and that's a good thing. (y) As for stopping him from making nests, that is not going to happen unless you create an environment that is not conducive for spawning ( which is not a good thing to do.) If you want no more fry,the best way (IMO) you will need to separate the male and females from each other. Other than that, you can let the fry become food for the other fish in the tank. Extra survivors can be taken to your local fish shop to trade for supplies or $$

Thanks for the response! Should I remove this nest or just leave it since he’ll probably only make another?

I'd leave it. Yes, he will probably make a new one anyway so you don't gain much by removing the one that is there. Even if you remove the females, he may still keep a nest in an effort to attract a female to his area. That is the life of an anabantid. More surface aggitation will make it harder for the nests to stay in tact.

Thanks! I think I’ll leave it and add more circulation then. Might wait for some of the babies to get a bit bigger first. I would like to keep a few and I’ll probably take whatever else makes it to the LFS for trades.

Back
Top Bottom