When will my guppy give birth. Photos included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lorzi786

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I seperate 4 female guppies 1 week ago. All look like there ready to pop but still nothing. However one of them last week ( one with a smaller belly) Not pictured, gave birth to one fry. I'm really confused at to why these 2 pictured haven't gave birth yet. Both have squared off abdomen (not so visible in the photo), sitting in one spot & mainly refusing food. I'm pretty sure they should have had them already they have been massive over a week. Any help appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20230302_174721_755.jpg
    IMG_20230302_174721_755.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 27
I seperate 4 female guppies 1 week ago. All look like there ready to pop but still nothing. However one of them last week ( one with a smaller belly) Not pictured, gave birth to one fry. I'm really confused at to why these 2 pictured haven't gave birth yet. Both have squared off abdomen (not so visible in the photo), sitting in one spot & mainly refusing food. I'm pretty sure they should have had them already they have been massive over a week. Any help appreciated

Guppies have the ability to stall birthing if they don't feel secure. The breeder net might actually be the problem. They would be better off in a tank with a lot of frilly plants ( fake or real) for the fry to hide in. You can do this in a 2 1/2 gallon tank or even some sterilite containers. I'd do each female separately than together in the same tank. The more secure they feel, the better your chances of successful births. (y)

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I only have one spare large tank. I have 5 pregnant females. I could put them into separate containers but I'm worried about how ide keep the water at the right temperature

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I only have one spare large tank. I have 5 pregnant females. I could put them into separate containers but I'm worried about how ide keep the water at the right temperature

You could make or buy tank dividers for the bigger tank so that you could have all 5 in the one tank but each with their own section. (y)

Put the females back in the tank and add a heap of plants. The females and babies can hide in the plants and you can scoop the babies out with a plastic container and put them in a breeding net.

Adult guppies don't normally eat their babies if the adults are well fed. And if you have lots of plants in the tank, the babies will have plenty of hiding places and be out of sight of the other fish.

Don't chase, catch or lift gravid (pregnant) livebearer fish out of water because you can injure them or the developing babies. If you have to move gravid fish, use a big net to quickly catch them. Keep the net and fish in the water. Put a plastic container under the net and lift the fish up in the net in the container of water. Then move the fish to wherever she is going and pour her into the new tank.

Avoid chasing, catching and handling female fish that have given birth in the last week. They need time to heal up after giving birth and can be seriously injured if you handle them straight after they release the young.

Thankyou, I think I will put them back in. I have plenty of plants in there and 2 large hiding caves, although I don't know if theyl use them. Thanks for your help all x

Back
Top Bottom