When will this guppy give birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The sheep meds will be the same thing. It's actually a livestock wormer. Lol. The avitrol comes in liquid and pill form. You want the pill. The liquid has glucose and will cause massive bacteria blooms.
http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-found-in-fish
A bit of a read but heaps of good info.

Do you know if it's safe for loachs as apparently they're not up to withstanding most medicine and also how do you work out how much to give them if it's for birds? And does it actually kill them or do you need to vacuum them up as they fall out only half dead (as I hear most medicines do)

chris87 said:
Do you know if it's safe for loachs as apparently they're not up to withstanding most medicine and also how do you work out how much to give them if it's for birds? And does it actually kill them or do you need to vacuum them up as they fall out only half dead (as I hear most medicines do)

Yes it's scaleless fish safe, invert, plant and bacteria safe. I've used the avitrol on my community tank containing mystery snails, bn plecos, gourami, cories, red tail shark, rummies and black skirt tetras. Dosage is one pill per 10Litres of tank water. Crush them into a powder and add to the tank. Wait 6-8 hours then do a good vacuum to remove the expelled worms. I hear it just paralyzes them. Don't top the tank up. Wait 3 days and then do another vacuum and a 50% water change. Excess medication is fine to leave in the tank. Repeat in 2-3 weeks.

Well that sounds perfect then! Thank you so much I seriously thought I'd loose my loachs as I couldn't find any med suitable to them. Now all I need to do is track some down that can arrive quickly. Thanks once again for probably saving my fishes!

We're in Australia do you live
Are you able to send a few tablets I think I also have worms on one of my female guppies

Mundle - Whislt having a look around I saw it was avalible on "eBay Australia"... much cheaper price then it is over here as well!

Mundle said:
We're in Australia do you live
Are you able to send a few tablets I think I also have worms on one of my female guppies

I'm in QLD. It's readily available online and at LFS stocking bird medications. Mine cost me $14.

If you can't find it I will gladly send you some :)

Last edited:
Just one last question I thought of before I buy, I've read about this life cycle of the worms. And we've only discussed how it will paralyse and let me hover up the paralysed adult worms off the gravel. But will it kill the eggs and the worms at any stage of their development? And is it just that the larger adult worms that have grown enough for us to see them are strong enough to only become paralysed from this and not actually fully die as all the eggs and baby tiny worms hopefully will?

And as the bottles are different I'm going to email the company selling it if they're the same as they haven't provided an ingredients list, but I'm assuming the ingredients line reads "each tablet contains 20mg LEVAMISTOLE HYDROCHLORIDE equivalent to 16.9mg LEVAMISOLE base, 4mg PRAZIQUANTEL"

chris87 said:
Just one last question I thought of before I buy, I've read about this life cycle of the worms. And we've only discussed how it will paralyse and let me hover up the paralysed adult worms off the gravel. But will it kill the eggs and the worms at any stage of their development? And is it just that the larger adult worms that have grown enough for us to see them are strong enough to only become paralysed from this and not actually fully die as all the eggs and baby tiny worms hopefully will?

From my understanding it's just the adult worms that's why you need to repeat the treatment

Those are the ingredients.

Ok so I've ordered the stuff and it should be here by Friday apparently, some of the previously uninfected fish are showing worms as of today but hopefully it should arrive just in time for them. I'm planning on taking out all the gravel and ornaments and bleaching them to kill all the lavre on them and so I can effectively hover up all worms from a plan glass floor. I intend on just leaving the filter running (without carbon filters) and hope that it all gets sucked through. Have I missed anything out? Thanks once again for all your help :)

Tank Parasites

Hello Chris...

Parasites live in most tanks. A healthy fish is very unlikely to be infected. If they do become infected it's due to stress; the stress of poor tank management or careless handling will weaken the fishes' immune system and parasites can infect the fish.

The best thing to do is to begin an aggressive water change routine, remove and replace half the tank water every week, vacuum the gravel where possible and raise the temperature in the tank to 80 to 82 degrees. Since you keep "Livebearers", start adding some standard aquarium salt to the replacement water. A little more than teaspoon for every five gallons of your new water should be enough. Most fish pathogens don't tolerate salt and the salt will boost the fishes' immune system.

The combination of salt, heat and a lot of pure water will help.

B

chris87 said:
Ok so I've ordered the stuff and it should be here by Friday apparently, some of the previously uninfected fish are showing worms as of today but hopefully it should arrive just in time for them. I'm planning on taking out all the gravel and ornaments and bleaching them to kill all the lavre on them and so I can effectively hover up all worms from a plan glass floor. I intend on just leaving the filter running (without carbon filters) and hope that it all gets sucked through. Have I missed anything out? Thanks once again for all your help :)

I don't really see the need to remove the gravel and bleach it. Might be a bit of over kill. A good gravel vac should do the job. If it makes you feel better about it you can take it out to clean it but be prepared for a mini cycle if it happens.
Run the filter minus the carbon and keep an eye on params because you have removed some media. Sounds like you've got it under control :)
Good luck!!

Thanks for all your help Mumma.of.two, I used the treatment as you guided and I'm pretty sure they're all gone now. Without you I'd have lost all my fish so thanks so much! :) Anyone reading this thread with the same problem, I urge to buy this treatment ASAP, time really seems to be of the essence with this, once again, thanks Mumma.of.two :) lets hope neither of us ever get this disgusting thing again

Tank parasites & Good Tank Management

Hello...

I didn't follow all the posts, but a thought occurred to me, there's a lesson for all of us here. Following a sound tank management routine that includes large, frequent water changes is ultimately the easiest way to ensure our fish stay healthy and resistant to the tank parasites that live in our tanks.

I notice one theme in all the aquarium books I've ever read that water changes are the best, easiest, simplest way to avoid the vast majority of fish diseases. Easier than maintaining extra tanks & equipment, figuring out which medications and dosages, and the associated side effects, etc.

Just change the water.

B

chris87 said:
Thanks for all your help Mumma.of.two, I used the treatment as you guided and I'm pretty sure they're all gone now. Without you I'd have lost all my fish so thanks so much! :) Anyone reading this thread with the same problem, I urge to buy this treatment ASAP, time really seems to be of the essence with this, once again, thanks Mumma.of.two :) lets hope neither of us ever get this disgusting thing again

Great news!!

Back
Top Bottom