When your fish spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
55 gal
2 weeks after adding Black Convicts I have +/-16 fry's.
Ph. 7.2

Momma and pappa suck several fry's in their mouths and move them to a new location. Wow, just like a cat. Well, except they may eat a few in the confusion. I added a couple hair brushes for hiding places, but they don't quite get it. Other cichlids in tank (2 Green Terros, and 2 Jack Dempsey's are kept at bay by the agressive little Convicts.
This was not planned so obviously the female was off the pill, the little slut.

hi

hi i am just wondering where you got that divider in the tank from :)

:multi:

Platies

1. Tank size = 10 gal
2. Temperature = 78
3. pH, GH pH=7.6 GH @ 8 degrees
4. Conditioning (or what you've been feeding) = flakes, freeze dried tubifex, frozen bloodworms
5. Fishes activity prior to spawning = normal. looking swollen, can see dots in front of anal fin
6. Selection of spawning site (if any) = none, they let them drop
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn = no special care, just good water and good food. removed the female to divided breeding tank 5 days before fry delivered.

edit: tank backdrop is art work by my 5 and 6 year olds. Hey, they get a kick out of it!

Considering the fact that was posted in 2005 you probably aren't going to get a response, I have seen those kinds at Petsmart.

Pelvicachromis pulcher

1. 30 gallon long
2. 78°F
3. pH, GH - Haven't tested in a while...
4. Been feeding them frozen bloodworms and shrimp pellets for two weeks.
5. Female dug a pit under a piece of red slate. Lots of dancing in front of the male prior to laying eggs.
6. Spawning site was under a piece of red slate. They dug a pit, probably 2"x3: large under it. The pit had only one entrance and the other inhabitants are too large to fit.
7. Not sure when the spawning took place, I'm thinking a few days ago as I have free swimmers already. Hadn't seen the female much in the past few days so I figured she was busy fanning the eggs under the slate.
8. Pics to be found below. The male is the one looking at you in the shot. The female can be seen in the background picking up the fry in her mouth and moving them to the pit she dug. You can see the sand piled up above the small triangular opening between the two pieces of slate - which is where the fry hang out.

Some other information... First spawn for this pair that I've had for about a month. Looks to be somewhere between 60-80 fry made it to free swimming stage. I'm sure some will be picked off by my angel but once they get a little bigger I will try moving them to a 5g tank to grow out a bit until I can put them in my 10g.

I already have a LFS that is interested in about 50 once they get 1/2 - 1" in size. I can get $2 cash or $3.50 store credit for each. They said they will sell them for around $10 a piece! Good luck with that, but I'll take the cash! :)

PS - don't mind the algae, waiting on an order of plants to start dosing/co2 again. It is amazing how little time it takes for algae to take over, btw.

Attachments

• IMG_20110301_200646.jpg
    IMG_20110301_200646.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Freshwater Angelfish

We have a breeding pair of angels, father is marbled-mother is silver striped.
1. Tank size = 66g tall
2. Temperature = 82
3. Ph= not too sure haven't tested lately
4. Conditioning (or what you've been feeding) = tetramin tropical crisps and frozen brine shrimp thawed out
5. Fishes activity prior to spawning = Aggressive behavior towards their tank-mates. Obsessively cleaning of a few areas of the tank.
6. Selection of spawning site (if any) = On the slanted roof of our decorative castle. They have moved their fry around several times over the past few days.
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn = not really...they had a failed batch of eggs about a week ago and got started on a new batch right away.
8. Pics are always great = I've got some I'll try to upload. :)

Platies

We have 4 pregnant platies right now.
1. Tank size = were conceived in the 66g transfered to 25g
2. Temperature = 80
3. pH = 7.0
4. Conditioning (or what you've been feeding) = mostly tetramin tropical crisps
5. Fishes activity prior to spawning = the females are looking very swollen, the males are constantly chasing the females.
6. Selection of spawning site (if any) = everywhere
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn = we transfered these platies into a separate tank to keep them safe from our breeding angels. I think that this may have kick started things for at least one of the pregnant fish.
8. Pics are always great = none yet will try to get some.

The pictures I uploaded are actually from the last time they did this. This time there are way more babies and they are spread all over both of the towers.

Attachments

• Angelfish-1st_spawn 001.jpg
    Angelfish-1st_spawn 001.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 247
  • Angelfish-1st_spawn 003.jpg
    Angelfish-1st_spawn 003.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Angelfish-1st_spawn 005.jpg
    Angelfish-1st_spawn 005.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Angelfish-1st_spawn 007.jpg
    Angelfish-1st_spawn 007.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 257
Mikrogeophagus Altispinosus - Bolivian Ram

1. 46 bow front
2. 80 degrees F
3. pH=6.8 Hardness=100ppm
4. Flakes, cichlid pellets, frozen bloodworms, live black worms
5. Lip locking (only for a few seconds at a time, then they hung out together)
Chasing other fish away from spawning site.
6. Driftwood with flat area.
7. Nothing specific that I know of although varied diet supposedly helps induce spawning.
8. Pics:

image-841066890.jpg

image-1277085205.jpg

Firemouth cichlids

1. Tank size: 55g
2. Temperature: about 80 F
3. pH, GH: Don't know. While I check my other levels, I stopped checking pH a long time ago because it was in a decent range and never changed. I want to say it was around 7.8, but can't recall for certain.
4. Conditioning (or what you've been feeding): Tetra flakes and occasional freeze-dried blood worms. I've only had them about 3 weeks and haven't really varied their diet much.
5. Fishes activity prior to spawning: Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, to be honest.
6. Selection of spawning site (if any): Overturned flower pot.
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn: Nothing I'm aware of, other than doing my normal water changes to keep things healthy and fresh. :D
8. Pics are always great: See below:

img_1971187_0_91239906cecabb4328eaa44f2bc58211.jpg

img_1971187_1_4efca15ea54e9fe4d290a08f30f61711.jpg

img_1971187_2_3d6081b997d4edf0b0629e9069caf91c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom