where are my baby guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeleyes88_88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:( my fish store guy said it should be soon but no babies yet... one is farther along then the other, unless one has alot of babies and the other has accouple :roll: tricky fish.. i have read that its best to take the mom out of the tank and have places for the babies to hide. i have two of those little qt type tanks that hang in side the tank for heat.. should i put the moms in their own little in side hanging tank? if so should i put gravel in? is there anything you have to do to get them to drop their babies? any help would be great :D my baby mollies where alittle surprise in the middle of night.. so i didnt get to plain anything before their birth didnt even know my fish was pg so i might have lost some before i found them :(

I’m not sure what size tank you have or your filter setup, but the best advice I can give you is don’t worry about it. I don’t use those breading traps any more, nor do I separate the mother from the fry. Giving birth is very stressful on guppy females. Keeping them in the main tank helps reduce that. I have a heavily planted tank and put sponges over my filter intakes. I do loose some fry, but that’s part of the game. It’s best to let nature take its course, survival of the fittest and smartest.

As for when she is going to drop, it’s almost impossible to tell. There are to many factors to influence this, temp, food, and water condition. A general rule is that most guppies will drop about once a month, but that doesn’t mean exactly 30 days apart. I’ve found that if you want to induce the female to drop, try changing the water 50% daily and increase the water temp by about 5 to 6 degrees.

Either way, just let her do her thing and don’t worry about.

Back
Top Bottom