Which Fish To Breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've raised some Molly fry to adulthood, and I enjoyed doing it. Now, I want to start breeding fish for experience. I was thinking two 10 gallon tanks, one for the parents/adults, and the other for the fry. Should I do a 20 gallon for the adults/parents instead? So my question is, what are some smaller fish that aren't too hard to breed? I was thinking some CPD's but I'm still not too sure yet. Thanks in advance!

I would recommend breeding kribensis since they are quite easy to breed and they are exciting to watch as they are amazing parents and prefers to take care of their own babies.

They are quite territorial and would require at least 20g.

I also want to add, when they do breed you will end up with 30-200 fries. Which may be more than what your tanks can handle.

Cornstar said:
I would recommend breeding kribensis since they are quite easy to breed and they are exciting to watch as they are amazing parents and prefers to take care of their own babies.

They are quite territorial and would require at least 20g.

I just looked them up and wow...they're coloration is amazing! So, a 20 gallon would suffice for a pair and some fry? Also, where would be the best place to get them? Maybe aquabid? Thanks!!

jetajockey said:
CPD's are as easy as any other danio species. The key is diligent tank switching or egg traps.

Oh ok, cool. I was just going to do the tank switching method. Hey jeta, what do you think about breeding Pygmy sunfish you sell? Are they difficult to breed? Thanks!!

It's not something I would go into as an amateur. There's always the possibility that they won't breed at all, plus this particular species seems to be picky about the setup they are in. But, if you get them happy and healthy they will breed like crazy, and the male takes care of the babies.

With a fish like danios, all it takes is a well fed adult group, they will be spawning every day just about.

Cornstar said:
I also want to add, when they do breed you will end up with 30-200 fries. Which may be more than what your tanks can handle.

Hmm, that is kind of a problem lol Do you think a 20 and a 10 gallon would suffice for a little while? I would separate some fry between the two tanks if theres too many. Would the two tanks be ok just to raise them to abou,t maybe 2 inches? I would be giving them to my LFS by about that size, maybe a little less.

jetajockey said:
It's not something I would go into as an amateur. There's always the possibility that they won't breed at all, plus this particular species seems to be picky about the setup they are in. But, if you get them happy and healthy they will breed like crazy, and the male takes care of the babies.

With a fish like danios, all it takes is a well fed adult group, they will be spawning every day just about.

I'll stay away for now then lol thanks for the heads up lol the CPD's are a good choice then. I think I'll just stick with them for a while. What do you think about the kribensis idea?

kribs or any other dwarf cichlids are always a fun thing to breed. Many have excellent parental care so your job is pretty easy. You'll need multiple tanks with anything you do, even with CPD's, so it's your call really.

The neat thing about breeding danios is that if you use something like an egg trap, it'll be up to you to hatch out and then raise the fry from teeny tiny little dots, it can be quite a challenge.

jetajockey said:
kribs or any other dwarf cichlids are always a fun thing to breed. Many have excellent parental care so your job is pretty easy. You'll need multiple tanks with anything you do, even with CPD's, so it's your call really.

The neat thing about breeding danios is that if you use something like an egg trap, it'll be up to you to hatch out and then raise the fry from teeny tiny little dots, it can be quite a challenge.

Ok, I thought so. I'll just go with a 20 and a 10 then. COME ON PETCO!!!! Where's a $1 a gallon sale when you need it!! Hopefully in April!! I want to start as soon as possible:)

I like a good challenge!! Hmm I think I'll go with the danios first, then the kribs. I need a fish room! Lol I'll have to look into egg traps, as I'm not too familiar with them. Thanks jeta!! Any other tips for breeding danios?:]

DIY Egg Trap

I use plastic tupperware containers, like the little sandwich ones, and I use hot glue to hold the mesh to the container.

Put the egg trap in the tank with the fish, remove any other moss/plants from the tank so this is the only thing in there that even remotely resembles a plant.

Watch the fish for breeding activity, but either way you can just take it out and check it every day. Look closely, the eggs are tiny and amber.

This is what they look like.
img_1869849_0_3ea7ba2752a4361f2e49e7fa9ecc24e6.jpg

img_1869849_1_75d33c545e67c9e0e8d2f9a808823f84.jpg

jetajockey said:
DIY Egg Trap

I use plastic tupperware containers, like the little sandwich ones, and I use hot glue to hold the mesh to the container.

Put the egg trap in the tank with the fish, remove any other moss/plants from the tank so this is the only thing in there that even remotely resembles a plant.

Watch the fish for breeding activity, but either way you can just take it out and check it every day. Look closely, the eggs are tiny and amber.

This is what they look like.

On second thought, I'm definitely going to go with the egg trap. That seems much less stressful.

Ok, so a bare tank with nothing else in there but the egg trap? Also, should I put the moss on top of the trap like the pictures? If so, how much moss?

Wow!! The eggs are so small! Thank you for the pictures, they definitely help me get a feel for the fry. By any chance, are you the friend from Florida;) lol

You can put gravel and stuff in there, you just don't want to put anything that remotely looks like plants/moss because that's what they spawn over.

As to how much to put over the top of the trap, not sure if it matters that much but you want the eggs to be able to fall down into the trap, so you don't want a ton of it catching the eggs.

jetajockey said:
You can put gravel and stuff in there, you just don't want to put anything that remotely looks like plants/moss because that's what they spawn over.

As to how much to put over the top of the trap, not sure if it matters that much but you want the eggs to be able to fall down into the trap, so you don't want a ton of it catching the eggs.

Oh ok, I kinda though so. I think for simplicity sake I might just do bare breeding tanks.

I'll do a thin layer of java then, once again thanks for all the help!

great breeders

I read through the tread and I was surprised to see that no one suggested convict cichlids. They are easy to care for and breed. They are also fun to watch.

Chenay83 said:
I read through the tread and I was surprised to see that no one suggested convict cichlids. They are easy to care for and breed. They are also fun to watch.

I thought about that too actually, but I was kind of turned off by their color. However I know they have pretty awesome personalities:)

I've never been a fan of cons either but I did recently acquire a pair of cryptoheros nanoluteus (yellow convict) and they look great. I'll eventually get pics one day, I've just been slacking because they are in the big tank and I need to pull them to get good pictures.

Try breeding gouramis they are neat when they breed and don't eat the young

Back
Top Bottom