White skirt tetra breeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is very little info out there! I just want the general over view of their breeding habits and pics are very much welcomed! Especially a white skirt tetra with eggs.

I have a girl, blushing long finned white skirt, whom I think has eggs in her? Are you able to see them (inside their body) before she lays them, and if so where would they be located? I can't get a good clear pic of her because she keeps moving! But she has became a bit more rounder in the middle and -to me- looks like she is carrying eggs. Except they're towards the front of her (near her fins, closer to her head), which for some reason I would think eggs would be closer near the tail but what do I know. I'm going to keep trying to get a pic!

Sounds like she is pregnant to me. Are you trying to breed them or is this just a happy little accident in your tank?

If you want them to live then more than likely you will have to make some changes with water quality tank mates filtration system and decor and food.

Happy tank accident! I wish I could find a darn picture or something of a preggo/eggy skirt tetra (of any color!). Also true definitions of what to call it (pregnant/gravid?). I would definitely do those to ensure the fry best survival chances.

Well a standard filter will just suck them up so a spong filter is recomended. If you have any other species of fish in there then they will eat the fry. You will need to use micro food types like newly hattched brine shrimp or my first bites liquid feed that you can buy. Also best if you have a bare bottom tank to see whats going on fully.

These are both of the girl I believe have eggs. They are the best pics I can get! Still trying though. Would eggs be in that darken area? Or is it something bad (some disease).

image-3574340215.jpg

image-299280925.jpg

This is a pic of a normal one for comparison. Totally see through and not rounded around the tummy. (Also I know my plants look horrible ATM. We just went through a long move where they had to go with lights for a couple weeks and my ozelot sword took a huge beating)

image-4239062103.jpg

Yea she looks like she is expecting. How big is your tank and how many and what type of fish do you have?

Sounds like she is pregnant to me. Are you trying to breed them or is this just a happy little accident in your tank?

If you want them to live then more than likely you will have to make some changes with water quality tank mates filtration system and decor and food.

Tetras do not get "pregnant" or gravid because the females lay eggs, then they are fertilized by the male outside the female's body.

These are both of the girl I believe have eggs. They are the best pics I can get! Still trying though. Would eggs be in that darken area? Or is it something bad (some disease).

View attachment 201503

View attachment 201504

This is a pic of a normal one for comparison. Totally see through and not rounded around the tummy. (Also I know my plants look horrible ATM. We just went through a long move where they had to go with lights for a couple weeks and my ozelot sword took a huge beating)

View attachment 201506

Male tetras are typically a bit smaller and more slender bodied than females. This is normal and does not necessarily indicate impending spawning behavior. If your tetras were to spawn (it is certainly not unheard of), you probably wouldn't even know it. They exhibit no parental care at all and are just as likely to eat eggs (and fry, if the eggs last long enough) as any other fish in the tank.

I had a group of von rios spawn in one of my tanks a couple years ago, right before I moved all the adults out. I had no idea until I found fry a few days after the parents were gone. They had apparently lived off the tank until I realized they were there, then they were pretty easy to raise on Fry Bites and crushed flake. Sponge filtration is a good idea for any fry IME. Power filters will suck them right up.

Does anyone know how long they hold the eggs for? (Until they "release and scatter" them). And what exactly they look like and how it looks if te male ferrets them? (Is it some kind of special dance or he just hovers over them?)

My routine WC is due and I'm so paranoid of sucking up eggs. We will see I suppose =3 would be a pleasant surprise if they did somehow spawn and the fry survive.

My tank is a 30g (soon to be 90g when I get settled in new place). It has blushing white skirt tetras, brown khulis, and ghost shrimp whom I fear will eat the eggs! It is planted and has sandy substrate. Also has some wood and caves in it.

Back
Top Bottom