whos pregnant??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So all 3 of our females were/are pregnant...we have 15 babies...not sure who had them. 5 of them came a couple days after the first batch of 10. The one female is huge but no black spot. And the other two are small with black spots. First set of babies ever so im so confused hahaha new to the fish and fry thing!! Please help!
ForumRunner_20120821_134633.jpg

ForumRunner_20120821_135137.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120821_135618.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120821_135618.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 84
My fish are about same size, (first fry too) been told its a while been told its soon... Guess time will tell. Sorry I'm no help. Keep me updated plz though. Do know some fish don't get big gravid spots, and that the stomach will square off at the bottom so cheat and tum are level :)

Im so confused as to who had the babies. Im pretty sure the really big one had the black spot but i dont know. Ill keep you posted...should be soon theyve been pregnant for quite awhile

The gray guppy in first pic still is pregnant... You can see her dark gravid spot with full belly-- black are babies
The yellow tail is empty... Can see she's plump but her cavity is pink-- empty :)
I can't see the other orange/red tail very much but she doesn't appear very plump.

Good luck with your babies.. They're so much fun. I have various Molly babies and guppies too.. All born within the last 2 wks

Thanks!!! Thats what i was thinking too....just had no clue cause the one female is still huge. Thanks for your help...ill keep watching the tank for babies!

mjn said:
Thanks!!! Thats what i was thinking too....just had no clue cause the one female is still huge. Thanks for your help...ill keep watching the tank for babies!

No problem :) glad to help...
My females (mollies, Platies, guppies) generally (not always) look thinner for a day or two and then start to fill out again.
One of my female guppies recently gave birth, was skinny for about 2-3 days and now 6 days later she looks clearly pregnant with a dark gravid spot... She's not plump yet but definitely pregnant. My other female guppy hasn't been around a male and has normal weight on her and inside her iridescent cavity you can see nothing... and can see straight thru it in the light. :)

Do guppies stay pregnant for up too 6 months like mollies?

I believe that normal gestation period is somewhere between 21-28 days (although this is not hard and fast), however they can "store" sperm for up to 6 months. If this is the case, even though they are not technically pregnant, they can have more than one drop for a single encounter with a male.

Oh okay...i was told and read different. How long till the babies are big enough to be let out of the net?

matty2085 said:
I believe that normal gestation period is somewhere between 21-28 days (although this is not hard and fast), however they can "store" sperm for up to 6 months. If this is the case, even though they are not technically pregnant, they can have more than one drop for a single encounter with a male.

Ya thats what i was meaning...

mjn said:
Oh okay...i was told and read different. How long till the babies are big enough to be let out of the net?

They will grow slower because of the confined space. I'd try them at 1/2"-3/4". Depending on the adults personalities they may be okay or not. I've had an adult Molly relentlessly chase an 1" baby...
I usually use a 10g to start them out as newborns and then move them to my 20g L for growout until I sell them at 1-1.5"-- 3-4 mths. There's a huge jump in growth when I move them to the 20g. Ive never used a net or trap for fry... I'd think they'd grow even slower... And what fun it is watching babies make long strides across the tank knowing they aren't in any harm.
When they're young, use a sponge over the intake.

Guess i shouldnt have sold my 10 gallon a few months ago. Didnt plan on having babies until my husband got some females. Oh well...so far they are growing quickly. Ill keep my eye open for a cheap tank thanks

So is my molly pregnant or is that just the shape its going to be?? I dont even know how to tell if its a boy or girl hahaha

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120822_105557.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120822_105557.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 58
mjn said:
So is my molly pregnant or is that just the shape its going to be?? I dont even know how to tell if its a boy or girl hahaha

Can you get another pic? I can't tell if the fin is pointed or is held up to the body....
Females have a fanned belly fin and males have a pointy one...

Maybe a male??

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120822_110943.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120822_110943.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 51
mjn said:
Maybe a male??

Yes.: male.... And looking at the other... Your orange/red guppy.... Look at her/him again... I thought yesterday may look male..

Edit: yes... Orange tail guppy definitely looks male... You will have many more babies on the way! :)

The pictures that i took of my three females are all female...well thats what the pet store said and to me she looks female

Back
Top Bottom