Who's the mamma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
7 weeks ago I transferred a calico male BNP and his breeding log to a new (cycled)175g tank. I didn't realize he had eggs in there, or I would have waited. I was moving him to STOP him continually breeding. But I am still getting tiny BNP fry- and they look just like all the others have.
His tank mates are 2 bumblebee gobies, 9 kuhli loaches, 1 small female peppermint BNP and a mature pair of orange spot BNP.
My question is this:
Can those fry be from eggs that were transferred with the cave 7 weeks ago?

It takes 2 weeks for BNP fry to loss their egg sacks. So maybe. Ancistrus can and will cross breed. If there are females with the male. It could breeding with it.
I have put BNs together and had eggs in less then 48 hours and others never breed.

It takes 2 weeks for BNP fry to loss their egg sacks. So maybe. Ancistrus can and will cross breed. If there are females with the male. It could breeding with it.
I have put BNs together and had eggs in less then 48 hours and others never breed.

Argh! I don't want him creating little hybrids!!! I wanted him to breed with my beautiful long finned calico, but when she reached sexual maturity, the albino (who was a rampant breeder and had spawned all the previous fry) killed her :(
I haven't seen the female orange spot or the female peppermint anywhere near his cave. The orange spot male has been fanning away in his cave for 7 weeks now. Maybe they are his fry? But I would have thought they'd be darker than the fry I've had from my calico. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom