Why don'tmy cory eggs hatch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen54

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have collected 2 lots of eggs that my peppered corys laid. A lot of them turned brown so i know they were fertilised. I removed the white ones. The 1st lot took 5 days to produce some 'wigglers' but after a couple more days these died. I now have eggs laid 5 days ago but nothing happening except that a lot have turned white.
What can i do? I really want some babies and mom and dad are very obliging all i have to do is put them in the nursery tank at a temp a couple of degrees lower than the commumity tank and the next day i have eggs which i then harvest and put in a breeding box.

I pull my eggs out and put them in a 5 gallon tank full of subwassertang and cherry shrimp. The shrimp keep the eggs clean and the subwassertang gives the fry somewhere to hide and grows all kinds of little critters for them to eat. I feed them micro worms 2-3 times a day too. I also change 50% of the water every 2-3 days. It seems to work for me.

the eggs can get fungus on them that kills them . a year ago i started with 6 panda corys and now i have 30 + . i dont take them out the tank i just let nature take its course.

the eggs can get fungus on them that kills them.

That's the reason I keep cherry shrimp in the hatch tank. The eggs are too hard for the shrimp to eat if they are viable. They constantly pick at them though and that prevents any fungus from growing on the eggs.

Hello jen...

Here are some tidbits of information on Corys that I've learned over the years of keeping these fish: pH needs to be close to neutral (7) for breeding purposes. The main tank and nursery tank need to have the same water chemistry or you may not have any fry. The water chemistry must be very close to pure. No traces of ammonia or nitrite and nitrates in the low 20 ppm range. So, large, weekly water changes of half the tank water are best. Corys prefer a bit cooler water around 72 degrees. They prefer the tank be under subdued lighting.

A variety of frozen foods is best. Brine or Mysis shrimp, beef heart, bloodworms, plankton and krill are all good. Include a bit of minced garlic and a vegetable wafer a couple of times a week. Feed sparingly, this keeps the fish actively looking for bits of leftovers and keeps the tank cleaner. Good cover on the bottom of the tank.

My Corydoras have laid eggs from time to time, but I believe my pH of 7.6 and the warmer water at 78 degrees has kept any from hatching.

Good luck.

B

Hello jen...

Here are some tidbits of information on Corys that I've learned over the years of keeping these fish: pH needs to be close to neutral (7) for breeding purposes. The main tank and nursery tank need to have the same water chemistry or you may not have any fry. The water chemistry must be very close to pure. No traces of ammonia or nitrite and nitrates in the low 20 ppm range. So, large, weekly water changes of half the tank water are best. Corys prefer a bit cooler water around 72 degrees. They prefer the tank be under subdued lighting.

A variety of frozen foods is best. Brine or Mysis shrimp, beef heart, bloodworms, plankton and krill are all good. Include a bit of minced garlic and a vegetable wafer a couple of times a week. Feed sparingly, this keeps the fish actively looking for bits of leftovers and keeps the tank cleaner. Good cover on the bottom of the tank.

My Corydoras have laid eggs from time to time, but I believe my pH of 7.6 and the warmer water at 78 degrees has kept any from hatching.

Good luck.

B

im not saying your wrong but my tank has PH of 6.2 and i keep temps at 79 constant and they breed . from what i have noticed ( besides keeping the water prestine ) they start with the mating actions when 1- i do a large water change and 2- i feed them bloodworms alot

Back
Top Bottom